Attn Yooper, Blackberry Wine cont.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dejay2

Reaction score
So its been about 2 weeks ago that I posted my message concerning my Blackberry Wine. I've taken a reading with my hydrometer, and I've discovered my SG is 1.0 with 0% potential alcohol. I'm not sure of what happened , perhaps I misread my hydromiter at the start, I don't know. Anyway, I thinking about bringing SG to 1.1 or so and see if it will restart. Or perhaps regenerate with another packet of yeast.
Comments welcome from anyone.
Thanks
Dejay

with a SG of 1.0 it means that all of the sugars in the mix have now been turned to alcohol. I.E.- fermentation is complete. the scale on the hydrometer for alcohol content is for potential alcohol content, and just gives you an idea of what your final alcohol will be. the alcohol content scale on the hydrometer is pretty much useless once fermentation has started.
There's nothing wrong with it, it sounds like your wine worked perfectly. Now just go about aging and secondaries as you would, and good luck on your final product.

Thank you for your response James, but let me get you up to speed on my dilemma. This is a cont. from July 22 , I left a message saying that my wine had stopped fermenting after two or three days. I was in primary for 5 days squeezing berries daily. It was showing activity for about 2 days in secondary, then seem to stop. all this doesn't sound quite right to me. But I've always made wine from juice. This is my first time with berries.

Back