Paint for stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
Ok I have been reading around, What do you guys use to paint your stand? I want to do it the right way.

I used the High Tempeature Grill paint from Home Depot. You can see what it looks like in my thread (in my sig).

Exhaust and header paint has the highest temp rating, but I wanted gloss red, so I went with caliper paint.
It's a little discolored right at the flame, but overall I'm really happy with it.

It all depends where you need the paint. I made a wood 3 tier gravity stand and used the cheapest Hi-gloss. It was a clearance for $5/gallon. For the burner area I used the Rustoleum BBQ hi heat and it burned right off of the hottest area. I did not care. I would say, If you need it to take the burner temps you will have to go with the header type paint.

I have thought of both options. Poser coat will burn off because its cured at around 400 f

I was always wondering about doing a ceramic coating like the grates on a grill or indoor stovetop. Have no idea of the cost or where you could get something like that done though. My stand is painted with grill paint and does ok. However, it scratches pretty easily.

From VHT Flameproof page:

Paint must be completely dry before curing
Heat to 250°F (121°C) for 30 minutes
Cool for 30 minutes
Heat to 400°F (204°C) for 30 minutes
Cool for 30 minutes
Heat to 650°F (343°C ) for 30 minutes

Now if I could just figure out how the hell I could do this to a 60" long single tier frame...

Cheers!

How did you guys prep the metal for painting? Mine still has a bit of oily residue, and at least has little rust except for a few places where we cut.

BrewingGunner said:
I used rubbing alcohol to remove the oil, and a grinder to remove the rust.

Any scuffing needed, or did it stick to the metal just fine?

Maybe I will paint it and bring it to a powdercoating shop and pay to use the oven?

Rust removal wheel? Is that a wire wheel or something different? Did you use mineral spirits to clean it?

Back