First!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well uh.... Lincoln is out past 168th.... :p J/K!

and Lincoln also has a new brewery in the works -- Zipline Brewing Co.

And also Ploughshare Brewing Co. sometime in 2013. We will be up to 5 just here in town, then - Empyrean, Modern Monks, Blue Blood, Zipline, Ploughshare. Crazy when you start adding in all the surrounding small towns and the legions of Omaha brewers too.

Well uh.... Lincoln is out past 168th.... :p J/K!

And also Ploughshare Brewing Co. sometime in 2013. We will be up to 5 just here in town, then - Empyrean, Modern Monks, Blue Blood, Zipline, Ploughshare. Crazy when you start adding in all the surrounding small towns and the legions of Omaha brewers too.

AHA! So Stinchfield is starting a brewery after all! Interesting! He makes great beer, for sure! Chris you going to be at BQ in a few weeks?

I don't follow Beer Quest closely. I only show up when I enter, and I only enter when the theme seems interesting enough to tie up a fermenter.

I enter every time. Free grain, free hops, free ticket to the finals and afterparty, chance to talk to some of the best brewers in Lincoln...no brainer. I didn't make the finals this time, but I'm enjoying the beer I made anyway :drunk:

Congrats on the BQ finals, AGAIN! See you Sunday, although I'll just be drinking beer, not serving :(

Thanks! My entry is quite hoppy so I'm not sure how the public will react to it. I was fairly certain it would make it past the judges because it is a damn good beer.
621253_288411781277198_1232571861_o.jpg

Hey all! I'm in S.W. Lincoln.

Damn BQ....I got in on my first try (one hop) and then didn't get the emails after that. WTF??? I would really like to get in on it again, since I did pretty well with my first try, and that was only my THIRD all grain brew. LOL!

I keep trying to make it to a Lincoln Lagers event, but scheduling just never works out. Ah well...I'll just go out to the garage and have another Pliny the Elder clone from the keezer ;)

If anyone wants to hang out and brew, let me know. Always happy to meet new people. Stay at home dads get bored!

Cheers,
Kurt

Checking in from Omaha in Hillsborough 134th & Fort. Been brewing for a year. 34 batches done this year with only 3 being extract. Would enjoy getting together for a brew day in west Omaha and meet some local brewers. PM me if you are interested. GBR!!

Hey Fifthcircle, I'm in SW Lincoln too, there must me something in the water out there. Come to a Lager meeting and you will find out what I mean.

Speaking of Lager meetings, next one is tomorrow night at Zip Line Brewing, right in the neighborhood.

Cheers,

Tim

Oh yeah, I saw that....just checked with the boss. I will be there! YAY!!!!!
I will go post in the meeting thread on laggers. Cheers!

Checking in from Omaha in Hillsborough 134th & Fort. Been brewing for a year. 34 batches done this year with only 3 being extract. Would enjoy getting together for a brew day in west Omaha and meet some local brewers. PM me if you are interested. GBR!!

I'm located off of 156th and Fort so I'm pretty darn close to ya. One of my Railroaders Brew Club members is having a brew day tomorrow starting at 4:30pm and lives off of 144th and Maple. Feel free to come hang out. For more information; find the "Friday at 4:30" thread in our Google Group. I'll be having a brew day next Saturday at my place as well.

Brewing my beer in Stanton. Been at for about 6 months now and can't wait for the next brew day to happen. Gotta buy more fermenters to keep up!

GBR

:mug:

Question for Lincoln brewers: are you using tap water? If so, are you treating it at all?

Omaha (108th and Harrison) checking in! Been brewing for about a year and a half. First AG November 2011 and haven't looked back since. :mug:

Lincoln here. I use tap water. I do treat with Campden - I crack a tablet in half, prepare 5 gal in two buckets side by side, and I crush up half a tablet between my fingers into each bucket. I stir vigorously, then let it sit outside with no lid for ~15 min. after doing this, while I get the rest of my equipment set up.

Longer-term, I plan to build a filtering board and/or a whole house filter.

I also sometimes use a mix of 1/2 hy-vee refill-your-jugs water, 1/2 tap water.

Lincoln here. I use tap water. I do treat with Campden - I crack a tablet in half, prepare 5 gal in two buckets side by side, and I crush up half a tablet between my fingers into each bucket. I stir vigorously, then let it sit outside with no lid for ~15 min. after doing this, while I get the rest of my equipment set up.

Longer-term, I plan to build a filtering board and/or a whole house filter.

I also sometimes use a mix of 1/2 hy-vee refill-your-jugs water, 1/2 tap water.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

Just out of curiosity, why do you put the buckets outside?

I read somewhere that sunlight helps release the chloramines. So I leave them without lids, in the sun, as I get my gear ready.

Plus, I brew outside, so I would put them there eventually. :)

Quick Zipline Review: The wife and I went to Lincoln tonight to hit the grand opening of the Zipline Brewery in Lincoln. The Alt and the Porter were fantastic. I think the IPA needs some work, not bad mind you, but I like IPAs and have a higher standard. Gorgeous tap room. Cool looking tap handles. Hard working folks to get you served. http://www.ziplinebrewing.com/index.php/blog/entry/zbc-taproom-opens-on-january-4th. We will back back. Have heard that Zipline is on tap at the Library Pub. All the best to folks at Zipline.

I'm too lazy to treat my water. I was running it through a cheap screw on carbon filter, but that takes 15min to get all my water. My water seems to be pretty good for brewing, but I'm not picky, and don't know any better. LOL!

Well over half of the beer I make goes to events so I filter my water regardless of how picky I am. Besides... brewing is typically the only thing I schedule on brew days so I could care less about 15 minutes. Filtering takes out that sharpness that chlorine imparts so the flavors are more rounded and pleasant. Probably not the greatest explanation; but that's how my brain interprets it. :)

Well over half of the beer I make goes to events so I filter my water regardless of how picky I am. Besides... brewing is typically the only thing I schedule on brew days so I could care less about 15 minutes. Filtering takes out that sharpness that chlorine imparts so the flavors are more rounded and pleasant. Probably not the greatest explanation; but that's how my brain interprets it. :)

Yep, I'm going to have to go out and get a carbon filter before I brew this weekend.

Ft Calhoun...1st batch in the Carboy now! Scottish Ale, milk stout next. Will be brewing in Omaha with friends now and then.

Ft Calhoun...1st batch in the Carboy now! Scottish Ale, milk stout next. Will be brewing in Omaha with friends now and then.

Fort Calhoun you say? I'm originally from Fort Calhoun but now love out by Northwest HS.

I went the opposite direction. Moved from Omaha to an acreage in the hills 9 years ago or so. Know many people that brew in our general region?

I went the opposite direction. Moved from Omaha to an acreage in the hills 9 years ago or so. Know many people that brew in our general region?

Not anybody at all actually. Most people I brew with are more 144th and maple area or further west/south. I've been brewing in my garage the last few batches though. Are you a part of any homebrew clubs?

Not a member anywhere. Saw the railroaders. Might join that. I jave a brother and a couple friends that brew buy so far have only done extract. I'm learning about all grain and want to buy the equipment.

Come to some railroaders meetings. We hold monthly meetings/competitions that offer free beer and free critiques for beer brought it. http://www.railroadersbrewclub.com/

Our next meeting is at the Lauter Tun on the 31st. Come out, meet some people, and drink some beer.

I marked my calendar and will be there. Ive been wanting to go to the Lauter Tun. Been there? I invited brew friends.

Yeah, I've been there quite a bit. Nice atmosphere, good variety of beers. If you have some beer, feel free to bring a 6 pack for our best damn beer competition as you don't need to be a member to enter into it. No prizes for it, but good way to get some feedback. I might have a beer there for BDB but I'm not sure yet.

Close, I'm at 156th and Dodge.

as am I....

I have my 2nd batch 'cooking' now and am trying to decide on a 3rd...
Gonna stay extract/grain for a while as I have enough hobbies (and kids) to spend money on...

Come to some railroaders meetings. We hold monthly meetings/competitions that offer free beer and free critiques for beer brought it. http://www.railroadersbrewclub.com/

Our next meeting is at the Lauter Tun on the 31st. Come out, meet some people, and drink some beer.

I see the next meeting is on my Bday.....may have to swing by (wanted to check that place out anyway)

138th & Harrison. I'm a week away from bottling my first batch.

West Omaha here...168th and Maple area. No club affiliation yet, but I've met several of the Railroaders who are great people. Lots of good folks in the other clubs as well. AG brewing for 3 years or so...about 60 batches.

I really enjoy pouring at the beer festivals such as the Homebrewers Fest, Holiday Beerfest, etc... Really neat events here in Omaha. Great opportunity to share with folks who really appreciate good beer. You're giving away an entire batch at each one, though, so that does get a little old after awhile.

West Omaha here...168th and Maple area. No club affiliation yet, but I've met several of the Railroaders who are great people. Lots of good folks in the other clubs as well. AG brewing for 3 years or so...about 60 batches.

I really enjoy pouring at the beer festivals such as the Homebrewers Fest, Holiday Beerfest, etc... Really neat events here in Omaha. Great opportunity to share with folks who really appreciate good beer. You're giving away an entire batch at each one, though, so that does get a little old after awhile.

I understand the whole giving away a full batch thing. It does get old after awhile. I'll be pouring two batches for extreme beer fest coming up and another batch is dedicated to the Empyrean beer quest competition.

It doesn't really get old for me, but it sure as heck does get costly!!! I poured at eight or so events last year and have 13 scheduled for this year. The feedback is well worth it to me, but my wallet still hates me.

Back