Official US Retail Locations For the Westvleteren XII

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't buy into the hype. It's not that good. I lived in Belgium for 3 years and took many people to St. Sixtus to try the "#1 beer in the world" meanwhile I drank their blonde.

The beer is good. Is it $85 a six pack good? Helll no. I like Rochefort 10 better anyway.

On the list at the closest place near me.
Been seeking this one for a while.
Great xmas present to myself!
Igotsand

In speaking with the wife it was decided that the price was too high. I was leaning that way myself but figure it's a once in a lifetime thing(most likely). If I bought 2 boxes and sold the other off, whole or broken, I could likely recoup my investment, but that just doesn't sit right for me. The monks have discouraged resell all along. Probably wouldn't be a good idea for people to snatch it up and scalp it the first time they import it.

Don't buy into the hype. It's not that good. I lived in Belgium for 3 years and took many people to St. Sixtus to try the "#1 beer in the world" meanwhile I drank their blonde.

The beer is good. Is it $85 a six pack good? Helll no. I like Rochefort 10 better anyway.

I totally agree. I won a bottle in a poker game early in the year, and I'm glad I did, otherwise I might be tempted to get one of these packs. It was a good beer, but hardly life-changing. I'd rather spend 15 bucks on something like a bottle of the Meddler or Parabola.

I totally agree. I won a bottle in a poker game early in the year, and I'm glad I did, otherwise I might be tempted to get one of these packs. It was a good beer, but hardly life-changing. I'd rather spend 15 bucks on something like a bottle of the Meddler or Parabola.

I just can't justify that price for a beer style I don't even much care for. I live in San Diego so there will be crazy people lined up possibly days in advance. I'd be happy to visit St. Sixtus if I visited Belgium, however (which I might do at some point).

It is essentially a fundraiser for the Abbey. What is the price for a similar quantity at the Abbey?

At the brewery, 39 Euros for 24 bottles which is actually higher than it used to be due to demand.

This is about $2.15 USD per bottle. Stateside, it's $14 USD per bottle in this "fundraiser brick"

If you go to Belgium and don't want to go to the brewery, the monks ban resale of their beer outside of the abbey but a lot of stores in Brussels and Gent carry it for 20 Euro per bottle or "free" if you spend 100 Euro at their beer store since they aren't allowed to sell it.

The brewery and drive to the brewery are great. If you can get it, pick it up in person and enjoy. I have 10 or so bottles left from my trip.

Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus 12 is comparable and far cheaper so I usually give Westy 12 bottles to traders as extras so they can try / review it.

adamjackson said:
At the brewery, 39 Euros for 24 bottles which is actually higher than it used to be due to demand.

This is about $2.15 USD per bottle. Stateside, it's $14 USD per bottle in this "fundraiser brick"

If you go to Belgium and don't want to go to the brewery, the monks ban resale of their beer outside of the abbey but a lot of stores in Brussels and Gent carry it for 20 Euro per bottle or "free" if you spend 100 Euro at their beer store since they aren't allowed to sell it.

The brewery and drive to the brewery are great. If you can get it, pick it up in person and enjoy. I have 10 or so bottles left from my trip.

Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus 12 is comparable and far cheaper so I usually give Westy 12 bottles to traders as extras so they can try / review it.

So send me a bottle already. Just kidding, unless I have something you want, which is unlikely.

So send me a bottle already. Just kidding, unless I have something you want, which is unlikely.

You're in North Carolina? That means you're near Foothills Brewing? Want to do a bottle trade? Send me a BM..happy to send you a fresh westy. you can drink it now or 2 years from now.

Foothills beers would be appreciated..I've only had the Barrel aged and standard sexual chocolate. No rush though..it's cold this time of year so if you want to do something in the spring instead, let me know.

While in Belgium there is a few bars where you can get it at good prices, last year in Mechelen you could buy the blonde, 8 and 12 for €3.50, €4 and €4.50, touristy stores will have it around €12, the same pack in Belgium costs like €35 and in the rest of Europe around €50. 85 USD seems a little to much

One of the Manhattan retail places is in my work area, but I think I'm going to pass at that price. As much as I would like to try this beer, I rarely jump onto the hype wagons. The only hype beer I've ever had (and worked hard to get) that lived up to its reputation is Heady Topper.

And nothing in Texas of course!

They just opened a Total Wine & More store here in Fort Worth! They have the Rochefort 10 for $6.99 and the Rochefort 8 for $5.99 a bottle! They've got a huge selection of top beers from around the world!

Why not buy into the hype? The monks that have provided something good to the world of brewing and charity are seeing their Abbey deteriorate and need repairs after providing so much to so many. This is to benefit the upkeep of their compound. It is time to return the favor. Yea, you could just donate money but you get to experience their good craft. I can see being upset with the limited distribution and the hacks that sell it for profit but the hype is from outside their world. The beer is meant to be enjoyed and will help them out...... off the soapbox.

Got a bottle in the fridge for tonight! I think it was $8 too. Might go pick up some more 10s for aging but agreed. At $85 your paying for the name and hype, not the beer...which can be worth it to some people but not to me, I'm no abbey fanatic

Obliviousbrew said:
Wow $8 for a rocherfort 10 I get it at half the price,

Where do you get it? I'm obviously not shopping at the right place!

Sorry dude in Spain, where I live there is belgian beer bar I know the owner, every three months we haves a big sale all bottles for €1.90 (around 2.5 USD) that´s were I get my stash, on-line in spanish websites a rocherfort 10 can cost you around €3 or less (less than 4 usd anyway) the thing is customs and shipping can add to much if you buy from the US. In a bar can cost up to to 8 usd yes I usually pay €4 (5.2 USD) in a pub.
Here is a link of a random spain based website a pack of 12 it´s €39 shipped to mainland Spain, that´s €3.25 shipped (around 4.15 USD each)
http://cerveza.uvinum.es/rochefort-10

Back