Protecting Wires

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghoti

Reaction score
What does everybody do to protect their wires from the open flame? I am trying to decided how to wire my setup and looking for suggestions on how to keep the wires from melting.

Haven't tried it yet myself (yet), butI've heard of some folks using this:
INSULTHERM - ULTRAFLEX - manufactured by TECHFLEX.

good for up to 1,200 deg.F

very flexible and soft fiberglass sleeving

Other sizes available 1/4 3/8 1/2

!Bl0crsg!Wk~$(KGrHqYH-CIEt0do7NNPBLdKJFj7og~~_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360234435258?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Mine run in conduit from the PID box to the ASCO valves, but they're below the burners and valves and several inches away. The burner needle valves never get hot. I'm not worried about the wires below them getting too warm. They're in conduit to protect them from dropped objects, spilled wort, or general klutziness.

I bought shielded K thermocouples and they have a braided outer cover and high temp insulation. I try to run all my wires sensibly and avoid as much of the heat as possible and if I do have to get close I tend to try and run it inside of the conduit of on top of a strut away from the flame wash as much as possible. Good luck, and if you approach your wiring from the top down it helps a great deal also.
Wheelchair Bob

Back