My 1st Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado68

Reaction score
This will be my first attempt at a Dunkelweizen.
Was hoping to get some critique on the ingredients and if a single decoction mash is worth the extra work.
5.2 gal. batch, 60 min boil, 60% eff.

6 lbs. Wheat Malt, Dark
4 lbs. Munich Malt
1 1/2 Lbs. Crystal Malt 60
1 1/2 lbs. Wheat, flaked
1 oz. Hallertauer 45 min.
3068 yeast

OG 1.055
FG 1.013
ABV 5.4%
16.4 IBU
19.9 SRM

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to convert the beersmith recipe to something that can be inserted here. Also, my low efficiency is what I think is due to poor grain crush at my LBS.

Brewing the day after Thanksgiving

Anyhow, comments/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Some more experienced brewers might have more input, but I think that might be a little too much crystal. Especially with the flaked wheat in there too.

I would back off on the crystal a bit (maybe use only 1/2 lb of a darker variety to make up for the loss). Maybe some CaraMunich 2 or 3 would be nice. Also, a decoction is not really required but will give you a very nice malt flavor. And, I think that all brewers should do one at least once in their lifetime. :)

In my opinion, I would use a little more hops. Maybe 1 oz. of tettnang for 60 mins and another 1/2 oz. at 20 mins.

I tend to have > or = 50% wheat malt in a Dunkle, Hefe, Wit.

Your at 46% I would cut your 60 and flaked wheat to 1# and add the difference to your wheat malt.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions... I made a few changes:
7 lbs. Wheat Malt, Dark
4 lbs. Munich Malt
.75 Lbs. Crystal Malt 80
1 lbs. Wheat, flaked
1 oz. Hallertauer 45 min.
3068 yeast
This style calls for an IBU 10-18 and already at 16.5, so afraid to add much more on the hops.
Appreciate the responses!

I just bottled a dunkel with this recipe and it turned out really well. It's really not too different from your recipe, but my addition of chocolate malt will add some color and a small amount of flavor to the brew.

6.5lbs Wheat LME
1lb Carapils
8oz 40L Crystal
4oz Pale Chocolate
4oz Munich
1oz Tettnang 40 min
1oz Saaz 40 min
WLP300

Ok, considering the suggestions above....Here's the final recipe:
7 lbs. Wheat Malt, Dark
3 lbs. Munich Malt
.5 Lbs. Crystal Malt 80
1 lbs. Wheat, flaked
3.2 oz Pale Chocolate Malt
1 oz. Hersbrucker 50 min.
.25 oz. Tettnang 10 min
3068 yeast

All ground, mixed and ready for Friday brew day.

Still debating on using a decoction

Still debating on using a decoction

Decoctions are great! Go ahead and do it! :)

Mash in around 122 for a protein rest, then decoct about 1/3 of the mash, heat it to around 155 for 20 mins and then boil it for 30-45 mins before adding it back for a main mash temp of around 155. I'm sure you know already, but BeerSmith will tell you all the right volumes to decoct and the temps will be spot on.

Everyone should do a decoction at least once in their life. I brewed a Traditional Bock and did a triple decoction; took me 8-9 hrs.... :)

You talked me into it :)
So I ended up with kind of a double decoction.
The protein rest went without incident. Next step was the decoc. Not having done this before, I knew I was supposed to take the heavy grain parts and strain them before adding to the boil kettle but I didn't know how much liquid should be in the mash being decoc'd. Soon realized I needed more liquid or it would have burned/scorched. Kept adding more wort so it wouldn't burn (I could feel it wanting to stick to the bottom of the kettle) and stirring frantically. Decided to dump it all back in the mash tun before it came to boil so I wouldnt burn it. That raised the temp 133 or so. Let it sit 10 min while I collected my thoughts. This time I took about 10 quarts of the heavy grain along with a sufficient amount of wort and returned to the boil kettle. Took about 30 min of constant stirring before it came to a a boil. Then returned it to the mash tun. This brought the temp to 150 and I let it sit for 45 min. Drained off my wort and sparged at 168.
Pre-boil was 1.044 vs. target of 1.045 Post boil 1.053 vs. 1.054... so pretty close.
I'm still learning but guessing I didn't hold high enough temps (154 deg.) for the saccharification. I did have good pre and post boil breaks though. Color looks awesome. Looking forward to tasting this one.
Thanks for the recommendation to at least try a decoc once.

Well, I cracked one of these open the other day. Great color, perfect head, smelled good but.... had a hint of scorched taste. Cant describe it other than when you know something got a little burnt. Friends thought it had a smokey taste and didn't mind it but I don't think I'll be drinking this one... so going to dump 2 cases :smack:
Thought I tasted this when I bottled these but figured it would mellow out after it conditioned. I was wrong.
I will however try this exact recipe again. If it weren't for the scorch this would be an awesome beer. I'll try the decoction again only add more liquid and stir constantly and use a lower heat setting

Well, I cracked one of these open the other day. Great color, perfect head, smelled good but.... had a hint of scorched taste. Cant describe it other than when you know something got a little burnt. Friends thought it had a smokey taste and didn't mind it but I don't think I'll be drinking this one... so going to dump 2 cases :smack:
Thought I tasted this when I bottled these but figured it would mellow out after it conditioned. I was wrong.
I will however try this exact recipe again. If it weren't for the scorch this would be an awesome beer. I'll try the decoction again only add more liquid and stir constantly and use a lower heat setting

Don't throw it out yet!!!!! Let it sit for another few months and see if it conditions out. If it still tastes scorched after 3 months, then throw it out.

I had to redo it... just couldn't live with the scorch. So I made a few adjustments to the recipe as well.
5 Gal single infusion batch sparge. Target 1.054 actual 1.052

5 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
2 lbs Caramel Wheat Malt (30.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)
First runnings and the cold break pics... we'll see how this one turns out :)

Dunkel 1st running (1).JPG

Dunkel break.JPG

Back