The line between light and dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where is the separation between light beers and dark beers?

• 11 is light, 12 is dark

• 12 is light, 13 is dark

• 13 is light, 14 is dark

• 14 is light, 15 is dark

• 15 is light, 16 is dark

• 16 is light, 17 is dark

• 17 is light, 18 is dark

• My choice is higher or lower than the options

Results are only viewable after voting.

Halbrust

Reaction score
Using the BJCP SRM color guide...
colorguide.png

And assuming you need to classify a beer as either "Light" or "Dark" at what number would you make the cutoff?

I'm thinking it should be 13 and under is light, 14 and above is dark. I chose those numbers via reading the BJCP category descriptions. But before reading those I was looking at the 13 color and the 17 color as being the "grey area" between light and dark.

Please give your 2 cents.

"Light" ends at about 10 SRM. That's when "amber" begins, up until about 17 SRM, and then "dark" begins. If you can't use "amber" just light and dark then you'd be making some very dark "light" and some very light "dark" beers. :D

There are some beautiful light copper beers that are in the "amber" category in color but are still pale ales.

There are so many better descriptors to use. Why limit yourself to light or dark?

Because my brew club has already made that decision. I'm trying to get them to clarify what is light and what is dark.
So far the only "dark beers" I've seen submitted for judging were stouts and porters. But I argue that those are at the end of the "dark beers" range and believe beers much lighter should be classified as "dark"

Mongrel said:
There are so many better descriptors to use. Why limit yourself to light or dark?

I agree with this. "Light" and "dark" aren't very useful when it comes to describing the taste of beers. An amber lager and an IPA might be the same SRM, but taste completely different. Likewise a dunkelweizen and a brown porter.

I can get a nice red out of 16-18 and I'm not sure if I consider red "dark" or not. I guess if I had to choose it would be when you start wading into the brownish tones that the beer is dark so....20ish....or something.

"Light" ends at about 10 SRM. That's when "amber" begins, up until about 17 SRM, and then "dark" begins. If you can't use "amber" just light and dark then you'd be making some very dark "light" and some very light "dark" beers. :D

There are some beautiful light copper beers that are in the "amber" category in color but are still pale ales.

My light beer goes to 11!!!! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back