Pecan flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I am wanting to add a hint of pecan to my next brew. What is the best way to do that and what should I use?

Backporchbrewery said:
Add dry roasted pecans to your mash. That's how the microbrew down here does it.

Thanks for the help. I do have one question. Do the use just the hulls, the nuts, or a combination of hulls and nuts.

I would not use any hulls, nuts only. The hulls on pecans are terribly bitter.

I am wanting to add roasted pecan flavor to our next beer, which will be a vanilla porter. Will adding coarsely chopped pecans to the mash add a notable, distinct flavor? Might one provide a more distinct pecan flavor adding as one would dry hopping? Curious who has brewed to add nut flavors and your results.

Search for Georgia Grinders Pecan Butter. It's not very cheap, but can be found on Amazon.

The oil separates very easily in the jar. Dump the oil and stir. Repeat a few times until you get as much oil out as possible.

I add the remaining pecan butter to fermenter just like dry hopping.

I've used extracts before, but our tastes fake. Natural pecan butter always turns out good.

I have successfully used 1 pound of roasted pecans in the mash of a Nut Brown Ale and was pleased with the outcome. You will need to lightly roast them to draw out the oils otherwise the oil will kill the head retention of your beer. After roasting I put them in a brown paper bag to absorb the oil.

Back