Orientation of stored wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenTerror

Reaction score
Since I've started to get into this hobby I am now faced with the problem/blessing of where and how to store all this stuff. I've done some research with mixed results.

Typically you see that storing bottles on their sides is ideal to keep the cork from drying out. But I have also seen studies that show the internal humidity of the bottle is plenty to keep the cork moist and storing on the side is not needed. I also saw a study that said the air bubble in the bottle being in the middle from side orientation is actually worse for aging of wine.

I would prefer to store them standing up since that works better for the space I have. SO my question is it really necessary to store on the side? How long does it really take the cork to dry out? If the cork drying is a multiple year process that's no worry since I plan to drink faster than many years of storage.

Thanks!!

Subscribing, as I am interested to know myself though I am a little more interested in long term storage as well. I am new to this as well, I was hoping I could get away with using sealing wax so that I didn't have to worry about bottles drying out. It is cheap and looks pretty, maybe it is only an aesthetic thing though. I am sure someone will be along shortly who knows more than I do.

I think this might fall into the category of "Which Harley color is best?" (Black, of course)

I'd bet that you will find a 50% ratio of sideways to standing arguments. (Sideways, of course)

I use synthetic corks and store mine upright. I don't have proper wine racks for storage, so I just have 1/2 of my walk-in pantry shelves covered with bottles :-D

i started by storing them upright too and recently opened a 3 year old bottle of cyser.
it had only slightly dried out around the top and otherwise was fine.

i think it doesn't make too much of a difference specially if you are planning on drinking them quickly

not to highjack the thread but if you wax the bottle tops shouldn't it eliminate the need to store the bottles on their side???

Laying bottles keeps the cork swelled which keeps it sealed.. I would say waxing does not eliminate the factor of keeping them on thier side.

Laying bottles keeps the cork swelled which keeps it sealed.. I would say waxing does not eliminate the factor of keeping them on thier side.

I understand why you keep them on their side... in fact thats how I do it. however the wax should eliminate the requirement. The argument has been made that just the moisture in the bottle is enough to keep the cork swelled even if standing up so that the liquid is not in direct contact with the cork. It is the other end of the cork that is exposed to the air that can dry out. if you seal it with wax there is no way for it to dry out and should in theory no longer need to be on its side to remain totally moist.

I could just about agree providing you have a nice good thick coating on the bottle and that it also a good seal meaning no bubbles on top or good dip job..

Latest posts

Back