Help my Bud has no flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been a primarily a Bud drinker for about 25 years. I have always appreciated a good brew but always made my way back to Bud. Last Christmas my BIL gave me a Mr.Beer kit and I have been making my own beer every since. Along the way I have been trying to try different beers to get a better feel for what it is I like.
The wife brought a 6'er of Bud home tonight and it tastes about as bad as Milwaukee's best (or the like).

I used to say that life is to short to drink bad beer, (if I only knew).

Is this a prerequisite to being an EAC? -or- should I sell all my gear and drink Bud until it tastes good again?

BTW it didn't take me long to figure out the the Mr.Beer kit was completely inadequate.
Cheers!!! :mug:

I spent 18 years of my life thinking beer was friggin nasty stuff...cuz dad only drank Bud/bud light/bud ice. The prefix had to be 'bud'.

Then I got to try a microbrew...don't even remember what, but I liked it.
Then I got to try a Guinness draft can....

I still think buttweiser is nothing but pond water that's been carbonated. :)

I remember when I was like 17 I first saw Mr. Beer! I wanted to buy it so bad! You didn't have to be 21 to buy it, so we all thought we had found a loophole in the system! We all pooled our cash and bought the starter kit. Our first "brew" was almost ready when the guys mom found it in his room! We all got in trouble and Mr Beer was stricken from us!

:cross:

I knew a guy that was brewing with Mr. Beer about 10 years ago and he would give me a few and I though t they were great. For one of them, he threw a handful of weed in there at some point in the process. I though that one was amazing. It tasted great, but upon reflection I would attribute that to the strong hops taste that I don't think I ever tasted before. The weed was probably wasted on it.

It never inspired me to start brewing myself though, but I think thats because I was dirt poor back then.

Chris_Dog said:
I have been a primarily a Bud drinker for about 25 years. I have always appreciated a good brew but always made my way back to Bud. Last Christmas my BIL gave me a Mr.Beer kit and I have been making my own beer every since. Along the way I have been trying to try different beers to get a better feel for what it is I like.
The wife brought a 6'er of Bud home tonight and it tastes about as bad as Milwaukee's best (or the like).

I used to say that life is to short to drink bad beer, (if I only knew).

Is this a prerequisite to being an EAC? -or- should I sell all my gear and drink Bud until it tastes good again?

BTW it didn't take me long to figure out the the Mr.Beer kit was completely inadequate.
Cheers!!! :mug:

I hear ya brother....I was perfectly happy drinking Miller HIGH LIFE for the past 15 years until I discovered homebrew. Now it is just beer flavored water! The road to enlightenment..............

In The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, Papazian mentions a beer that was somehow infused with weed. I can't remember if he was telling the story about himself, or about somebody else. But in the end, he ended up going back for seconds!

I've heard that Hops and Marijuana are closely related.

:rockin:

Anybody know anything about this?

There was a thread on it a while back.

I think it was mostly left unresolved.

Some oenophiles will actually force themselves to avoid drinking their favorite wines too frequently, to keep from developing a "cellar palate". If you become too exclusive and only drink the same thing day in and day out, eventually you find that on the odd occasions when you do try something different, you invariably find that it doesn't measure up to your expectations. You need to continually expand your horizons or risk missing out on some of life's finest pleasures.

Personally, I can't drink Bud Light without gagging, but I have a guilty pleasure of my own called Yuengling Lager. In my mind, I know it's not "good beer" and I don't exactly sit around savoring every drop and contemplating it's complexities. Most times I choose something else with more character and flavor. But dammit, the stuff is just too familiar... it's like mother's milk around here. If I'm feeling indecisive about my next drink, or if nothing on the menu excites me, I'll often just have a Lager or 10. :mug: And for the price, it's a perfect candidate for things like game day, where mass consumption is going to be carried out over several hours.

Sometimes you can be offered caviar, but you still just want a bag of potato chips. Nothing wrong with that. :D

I had a Yuengling the other day that had so much acetaldehyde taste that it seemed like I was drinking hard cider. I occasionally try "lesser" beers and are reminded of why I don't normally drink them :p

Now, I will drink a High Life if I'm in the mood for corn, but that's not all that often.

talleymonster said:
I've heard that Hops and Marijuana are closely related.

:rockin:

Anybody know anything about this?

Both hops and marijuana are indeed closely related. I am actually planning on brewing an experimental Sativa Ale as like some of us, I "use" to be a pot head and now its legal to possess up to a certain quantity in Denver County (still technically illegal in Colorado, damn catch-22s). Think I'm drawn to it since I have not read anyone who knew what they were doing (knew about both beer and marijuana). Unfortunately for this to be legal, I have to brew and consume these in Denver County otherwise I would be breaking the law, and I'm a law abiding citizen ;).

malkore said:
I spent 18 years of my life thinking beer was friggin nasty stuff...cuz dad only drank Bud/bud light/bud ice. The prefix had to be 'bud'.

Then I got to try a microbrew...don't even remember what, but I liked it.
Then I got to try a Guinness draft can....

I still think buttweiser is nothing but pond water that's been carbonated. :)
This sounds like me. Well it wasn't 18 years and it wasn't my dad but my friends (my dad doesn't drink). It wasn't until I graduated college and moved to the Boston area from Indiana that I experienced good beer. Completely changed my opinion of beer. Now back home in Cleveland there is a much better selection of good beers available than I remember.

Craig

Back