Used liquor barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whatever happened to the wait list? i thouight i was 4 on it from a while back?

I sent you an IM, sorry about not getting one out to you earlier.

I sent out the first round of request for payments. I have 11 5-gallons spoken for and all of the 10's. I will send out emails to those on the list who have not received one yet once I get confirmation of payment.

Cheers
John

Anyone have an idea about how the alcohol content is impacted by the use of one of these barrels? It's got to raise the % alcohol some, but I can't find any estimates of this.

Thanks,

John

Completely uneducated guess, but I'd guess it took my 10% imperial stout into the 12+% range, based on the boozy aroma and burning sensation it added. That was after a month in the barrel.

Received my barrel today, super fast shipping and looks great. Plan to age an imperial IPA then brewing a 'Pirate Porter' that will benefit from the rum and oak flavors.

Thanks John, really appreciate the fantastic service!

Received my barrel today, super fast shipping and looks great. Plan to age an imperial IPA then brewing a 'Pirate Porter' that will benefit from the rum and oak flavors.

Thanks John, really appreciate the fantastic service!

Received mine today also! Thanks John!

Got my barrel today as well, fast shipping and it looks great. Now, what do I do with this thing? Do I need to open it up, wash it out and fill it with some rum since I won't be brewing anything for it right away? How do I prep it when I'm ready to put beer in or do I even Ned to prep it, just open, siphon in beer and let it sit? When I fill this with beer do I need to out an airlock on it, if so what size stopper or bung would this take?

Damn I can't wait to use this.

Hey, someone want to put of a pick of the barrel they just received.

Shelly, the 10 is nice, maybe next time.

I have one 10 gallon left.

I'm very interested in both a 10 gallon barrel as well as a 5 gallon barrel. Any available?

The last barrel has been sold, We will everyone know when there are more.

Those who have barrels, what do you think about a barrel only competition (I really just want to drink all the great beers coming from these barrels)?

Anyone have any experience using sorgum whiskey barrels? Never been exposed to it, so I'm uncertain of the flavor profiles.

How big are they, and how many times can you re-use them? Never did a barrel beer but would like to try one.

_

5 gallons, you can reuse them a few times to impart the barrel flavor. Then you can use them for wild beers once the barrel is "neutral"

think of the barrel like steeping tea...the first time it doesnt need to be in there long, then each time there after you have to leave it in there longer to get the same effect. eventually the barrel flavor is gone and you can you it for wild beers as described. With this much surface area to beer ratio, my guess is youll be able to use it more than a few times as long as you keep the barrel clean (rinse and refill with spirits when not in use).

5 gallons, you can reuse them a few times to impart the barrel flavor. Then you can use them for wild beers once the barrel is "neutral"

I put a English Brown in one of your rum barrels for 12 days. WOW did it pick up that flavor!! BTW what brand rum was in the barrel? Planning on putting a Barley Wine in there next!!!

With this much surface area to beer ratio, my guess is youll be able to use it more than a few times as long as you keep the barrel clean (rinse and refill with spirits when not in use).

So, this is my sole remaining concern at this point. I've got a beer that can go into it immediately after arriving and being rinsed out, but will never brew so much that I'll keep it full 100% of the time.

I don't want to do sulfur, just ask Gordon Strong about that. Does that mean that I'd need to buy 5 gallons of liquor to store in it when not in use for beer? I guess that I could rack it out and into a carboy when I'm going to age beer, but won't the liquor continue to extract the barrel flavor?

I wouldn't want to use a cheap liquor, because that would end up in my beer, whcih means I'd need 5 gallons of good stuff. That ain't cheap!

Back