Plastic bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a question....

I ran out of bottles (glass) the other night so I used a few plastic Aquafina water bottles that I had sitting around. I didn't want to waste any of my beer so I sanitized the plastic ones, filled them and recapped them with the original caps. Do I run a risk of these exploding? They are starting to get firm with carbonation so I want to make sure I don't have to transfer these....

This will be the last big batch that is going into bottles....my kegging kit is in at the local HBS so the Irish Red batch that I brewed yesterday is gonna get kegged for St. Paddy's day.... Yippee!!!!

Anyway, info on the plastic bottle issue is appreciated!

Lots of homebrewers, especially British ones, use plastic PET bottles. So, I guess under normal pressures, it won't explode. I have used them a couple of times but only when counterpressure filling, so I knew the pressure was right. I imagine you'll be fine. If it freaks you out, you could always loosen the caps just for a second and let some gas hiss out.

Chase them crazy bald heads out of town....
;)

Janx said:
Chase them crazy bald heads out of town....
;)

??? I don't get it. Listening to it at the time of post?

Still you look me with your scorn, then you eat up all my corn....

Nevermind...I get it now....

(message edited after opening my eyes....)

Back