Hop Stopper/Oktoberfest Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryMike

Reaction score
Because I am

A) a big dork

&

B) totally addicted to homebrewing

I decided to start making some video centered around my hobby. For my first episode I built Lil' Sparky's hopstopper and documented the results. I also added a cheap false bottom to my BK. See how these new pieces of equipment worked during my Oktoberfest brew day.

The first half is a lot of me talking to the camera....the second half has a lot more action.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to delete one of the better clips for the original episode to fit youtube's time limit.

Here's a 2 min short that includes the aforementioned deleted scene.

In this scene you can see that it's not easy to use this hop stopper with an IC...

1080p available on this clip

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video! My question is why not buy 3-5 smaller grain bags and use those to add to your boil instead of a hop stopper? I think hop stoppers are cool but it seems like they get in the way when you can just throw 3 bags in there and not have to worry about it interfering with the wort chiller?

Great point. First off, when I make the transition to a plate chiller life will become much easier. The individual bags makes sense to me. I think Tasty from the Brewing Network does that.

Great point. First off, when I make the transition to a plate chiller life will become much easier. The individual bags makes sense to me. I think Tasty from the Brewing Network does that.

Ok that makes more sense to me know to use the plate chiller in the future

Nice video. I've done three batches since making my hop stopper. It's one of those things that I can't believe I did without for so long.

I like your whiteboards in there. Better than my notebook that gets a little messy throughout the day.

Latest posts

Back