Flaked Barley usage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
Hi,

When you mash a stout with flaked barley, can you just do an infusion mash with the malt , or do I need to do some other process?
same Q for crushed raw barley and oatmeal.

Thanks

I can't get flaked barley in my country...

what about raw barley?

For raw barley, the starches haven't been gelatinized like happens in the rolling process to create flaked barley. To use raw barley, you need to do a cereal mash -- basically make cooked barley first, then add that to your mash.

OK, I tried cereal mash before with raw grain.

Is the end result similar to the use of flaked barley?

BTW, I don't see how the barley flaking process causes gelatinization... I thought there has to be heat involved...

In the flaking process the rollers are hot. The hot rollers produce flakes, whereas cold rollers crush the grain the way our grain is crushed for a traditional mash.

OK I bought some raw barley.

Can I roast it in the oven instead of cooking it before mashing ?
since I can roast in the oven a few days ahead, it could help shortening the brew day.

Cook it with water and basically make a barley porridge. You end up with a gloopy, starchy mass, ready for the enzymes to turn into sugars.

Back