Nottingham yeast is a BEAST!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
The krausen is gone, the yeast has almost completely dropped out and the beer went from 1.041 to 1.007 in less than 48 hours! I don't think I have ever seen notty work so fast before.

:ban:

I've seen it work like that before. I stopped using it when the whole packaging debacle hit, but I may try it again. The only advantage for me that it has over US-05 is the cake is a bit more compact after primary.

I have used it many times in the past and knew it was fast but I guess I had forgotten. I have some Pacman yeast I have been using and that takes a good 8-10 days before it's done.

It's a great yeast. I've used it a few times for some lighter ales and have been amazed at the way the trub stays stuck to the bottom. I feel like I'm getting all the beer!

If you rehydrate it the stuff is a BEAST!

I pitched two rehydrated packages into 1.075 IPA the other day, after 48 hours I was down to 1.013! I mashed this thing at 154 so I would get a nice malt backbone but the nottingham just tore through the maltose. No sugar additons or anything...

This Saturday I brewed a 1.050 cream ale, 8 gallons. I pitched 1 package of rehydrated nottingham. 48 hours later it is done at 1.008

I get my cleanest, clearest beers from nottingham ale yeast. No doubt about it. It ferments cleanly and fully, and drops like a rock!

Just picked up my first packet of Nottingham last weekend, and I’m excited to try it out because I’ve heard so many good things. What temperature are you fermenting at for the 48 hour primary fermentation?

65-70 degrees. Don't let it get over 70. I try to keep it at 68 and it is super clean at that temp.

I had an Irish Red Ale with a starting gravity of 1.059 on Tuesday night, and pitched a pack of Nottingham right on the top and stirred it up.
Lucky my wife noticed the top bulging last night. The krausen had blocked the airlock, and the top probably would have blown off. It took me a few minutes to gently release the pressure, clean off the blockage and reinsert it. I looked a few minutes later, and the top was bulging again. At that rate, it was just futile to use the airlock. I just took it off and let the krausen out. This morning, I put the airlock back in, and it is still bubbling very actively, but I think it is safe now. Great dry yeast. I need a 10 gallon conical fermenter.

I would think it would be fine. It is a great all around yeast. I keep them in the refridgerator until I start the boil, and then let it warm up to room temp. Sanitize the package and pitch directly. Pretty much bullet proof.

Just tried Nottingham for the first time. Pitched it Sat night and its Monday night now. Had my first blowoff ever and had to change the airlock. Great stuff so far.

Unfortunately my wife let the AC get to 73 while I was at work. luckily the temp in the closet stayed at 69 :)

Nottingham is by far my favorite yeast for most mainstream styles. Malt/hops/temperature/boil are enough flavor levers for me, all I want is a yeast that ferments quick and clean. Just like Nottingham.

Yesterday I brewed an imperial porter with an OG of 1.102. Went to get my starter, and found a dead fruit fly in it. (So much for loose tin foil). Luckily, I had a pack of nottingham's in the fridge, so I rehydrated it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I did an IPA with an OG of 1.060 with nottingham, it finished at 1.005. I think my mash temps were a bit low, but damn thats alot of attenuation.

This blonde ale I did finished at 1.003 or 1.004. You wouldn't even know it was a 5.5% beer it tastes so light and crisp.

I just sampled a young strawberry mead made with Nottingham. Even at less than a month old, no yeasty or off flavors, just the background floral honey notes and strawberry. Great stuff :)

Yes, it would seem that Notty is back to its old ways. I started mainly with Nottingham and was in phase of using WhiteLabs and washing yeast when the entire packaging fiaso broke.

I just recently used Notty to brew EdWorts Bee Cave Robust Porter and a single pack, pitched direct into the wort had finished in about 36 hours. It went from 1.068 to 1.012 and I hope that it stops there to keep the body in the beer. I'll be on the road all week so I have to wait until this weekend to see where the beer finishes.:eek:

Used it in a 12G batch of blonde ale and it went from 1.046 to 1.007 or so in less than 5 days at 65-66 degrees. Insane!

Hmmm. I'm not really so sure these kinds of attenuations are that great, flavor-wise. I guess some people like super dry beers, but for me I'd want to try to shut it down before it turns my beer to champagne. For Imperial IPA/Barleywine type beers it sounds great, though!

Want a maltier beer? Mash at 156f instead of 152f. Or choose your own temp. I see this as a feature of the yeast and not a flaw. It just means less dials and levers needed to control yer flavor. Is that a good thing? Me, without a doubt yes. Anyone else? Yer milage may vary.

Holy ****. Pitched this into my APA last night and that **** bubbled so much it killed all the solution out of my airlock. Refilled a minute ago and it's like a machinegun.

:mug:

Hmmm. I'm not really so sure these kinds of attenuations are that great, flavor-wise. I guess some people like super dry beers, but for me I'd want to try to shut it down before it turns my beer to champagne. For Imperial IPA/Barleywine type beers it sounds great, though!

A little malto-dextrine helps keep the body in the beer and it is easy use. I brew EdWorts porter and it never fails to have body. Mash temps help out a great deal as well.

Back