The beer in my carboy is two different colors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraAgent

Reaction score
To make a real long story short. I am making a german light beer.Brewed it sat.
i added the yeast when the wart was way to cold.

got lots of tips on how to correct this. I shook the carboy every couple of hours until fermentation started. I also covered the carboy in blankets to bring the temp up. It worked really well within a few hours air lock was bubbling away.

However today tuesday no bubblies in airlock and the beer is two different colors. The top half of carboy is dark brown bottom half light brown?
WTF????? I am thinking I will have to repitch my yeast. What do you think?

Ohh I do plan on waiting i figure a week or two and then we wil see. Just the two different colors threw me. Being new at this it seems that the yeast may have only acted with half of the brew.

No worries. They're hungry little bastards, if there's sugar at the top of the wort they'll be up there eating it.

You are seeing the yeast flocculating downward clearing you beer....it is really dramatic when waiting for apfelwein to clear...the top starts becoming crystal clear while the bottom is still cloudy.

Sounds like the top of your carboy is beer and the bottom half is yeast which is slowly settling to the bottom. this = normal.

This is why I like opaque plastic buckets. Fill them with wort, pitch yeast and out of sight, out of mind for three weeks. One of the upsides of a clear carboy is it's biggest downfall. Watching fermentation is cool, but it can also make one nervous and start to question things. Especially when you get a fermentation that is out of the ordinary. (Although this particular case sounds pretty typical)

+1 RDWHAHB.

Latest posts

Back