MLT Build.. Few pics inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimSTi

Reaction score
So today I finally built my MLT getting ready for the AG switch. I got a 50qt Igloo Ice Cube from target for $20. I used all 3/8" fittings and ball valve with 1/2" stainless steel braid. I drilled out at 5/8" hole which nipple fit snug, but it still leaked when I tested it. Bought some silicone sealant just in case so I applied some and have it drying right now. Real simple build. I lost 5* from 182-177 in 45 minutes with 5 gallons of water. Not too shabby I'd say. Lots of dead space and hopefully with grains in there it'll have a slightly lower loss. Can't wait to brew up my first AG tomorrow!

3244965351_a876b86ab0.jpg

The object in the top right corner is just one of the hose clamps lying around.

3245792206_aae294229e.jpg

3245789960_d79e967c7c.jpg

I believe i spent about $45 total for everything. $20 cooler + $25 false bottom/drain parts.

Looks great! I'd personally worry about the silicone on the inside (it looks like that's what you did), but I'm paranoid about leaching or melting.

I'm certain your temperature drop will be less with grain in there. It's also a good idea to pre-heat the MLT if you didn't do so.

Looks great! I'd personally worry about the silicone on the inside (it looks like that's what you did), but I'm paranoid about leaching or melting.

I'm certain your temperature drop will be less with grain in there. It's also a good idea to pre-heat the MLT if you didn't do so.

It says its resistant up to 400* so I dont see any issues.

I looked at that very cooler this afternoon. The only reason I didn't buy it was because it didn't already have a drain in it. The larger version of that same cooler is a little larger than I want, so I might have to keep looking around...

Am I missing something or did you leave out the all important Oring in the weldless design?

Good call. No oring. The inner washer is actually a rubber gasket that is a size too small so it forms a tight fit around the nipple. Tho it wasn't too tight cause I had a small leak. I ordered some stainless washers earlier to help the inside seal tighter. For now I used some iffy silicone sealant that held up.

Back