Pick up tube not siphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milhouse

Reaction score
Just brewed my first at home All Grain brew this weekend and I was having trouble collecting all the wort from my keggle.
I have the same pick up tube as Drunkatuw
IMG_8259.jpg

All the connections were tight and leak proof and my keggle was elevated 3' off the floor, but the wort would not siphon past the shut off valve drilling. See below.
keggle.jpg

There was more than a gallon of wort left so I used my auto siphon to collect the reamining wort. I was hoping the pickup tube would do the work for me. Any suggestions?

Get a pump...I had a similar issue when testing out my first pickup tube. As soon as I put the pump on it sucked it dry.

Do you have a tube running from the kettle to the carboy/bucket? How far down does it go?

If a longer hose doesn't fix the problem, then I'd guess that the problem is that the compression fitting is not tight around the stub out causing air to get into the ball valve and hence losing your siphon.

When you drain your keggle, make sure your hose is full of water. When I drain my keggle, I have to fill the hose by looping it back up slightly in order for my siphon to work, otherwise there's too much air in the hose for a siphon to start. There's also a dramatic difference in the volume of liquid that drains out when the hose is filled.

When you drain your keggle, make sure your hose is full of water. When I drain my keggle, I have to fill the hose by looping it back up slightly in order for my siphon to work, otherwise there's too much air in the hose for a siphon to start. There's also a dramatic difference in the volume of liquid that drains out when the hose is filled.

All you have to do is pinch the hose at the bottom a little to cause it to fill up with liquid, then release.

+ 1 for both of these. If you don't have that hose full before you drop it down, you get no suction.

Back