Beer "should" be in brown bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Then why are some "craft beers" sold in clear bottles?
Some Brewery Supply sites are selling blue bottles.
I understand sunlight is not a friend of beer....but for the amount of time that beer is exposed to sunlight, is it really that big of deal? Beer looks better in a clear glass, so why not bottle in clear glass?
How many of you drink from a brown glass?

Hop skunking, in beer, WILL happen in minutes in sunlight.

The basic brewing guys proved it here....

And here's a timed experiment of skunking of various beers.

Skunking Beer Experiment - Results

Curious just how quickly sunlight can destroy a beer? Here are the results from our beer skunking experiment. You can try this very experiment in your own home! Note that we did these tastings blind, but I list the results in order so you can read through without confusion.

Corona Light - clear bottle
The bottle not exposed to sunlight was perfectly clean smelling and had a fresh flavor. This was the control bottle and it tasted quite fine. The bottle exposed to sunlight for 1/2 hour was clearly toast. It had a bad smell right from the bottle, and a bad, off flavor when drunk from a glass. It got worse. When we had the bottle exposed to sunlight for 3 hours, it was awful. The skunky smell was very obvious from the bottle and the flavor was clearly wrong.

Heineken Light - green bottle
A green bottle does NOTHING at all to prevent skunking. The wavelengths that cause skunking in beer go right through green glass. The control bottle of Heineken had a very light flavor and aroma. It hadn't been harmed at all. The 1/2 hour exposed to sunlight bottle was clearly skunked. You could smell it from the bottle and taste the bad flavor in the glass. What was impressive was how awful the 3 hour sunlight bottle. This was even worse than the Corona Light - a very strong skunky aroma, a very sharp flavor.

Miller Lite - clear bottle
The first, no-sunlight bottle had a fresh flavor and light flavor. Impressively, while the 1/2 hour and 3 hour versions did have a noticeable off aroma and flavor to them, both were *far* less than the Corona or Heineken. We're heard rumors that Miller has a special technique in how they brew to keep their hops from being able to get skunked. Maybe it's true!

Michelob Ultra Amber - brown bottle
Brown bottles don't totally prevent skunking, but they do slow it down quite a bit. We were impressed with how it helped. The non-sunlight bottle had lovely, gentle flavors. In fact our beer maker commented that he was quite impressed that this was a low carb beer. The 1/2 hour sunlit bottle seemed to be about the same, with maybe a tiny hint of change. Even the 3 hour in sunlight bottle, while it seemed a little "off", didn't seem to smell or taste skunky. We could tell that it was a bit different, but it didn't seem "bad".

Smithwick's - brown bottle
This was our control bottle, it is not low carb. This is an Irish beer. The one not exposed to sunlight was fresh and lovely tasting. The one left out for 1/2 hour was a tiny bit different, but just about the same. The one out for 3 hours did have an off aroma, but it was mild.

Results
We proved quite thoroughly that beer can be skunked in only 1/2 hour of exposure to sunlight, and that both Corona and Heineken are extremely sensitive to light. We were very impressed with how brown bottles helped to protect beer against this harm - although it should be noted that if you pour your brown bottle beer into a clear glass, it is now exposed to sunlight :) We were also very curious to learn what Miller Lite does to its beer to help keep it safe! I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

Feel free to ask me questions about this experiment, or to try it out for yourself!

NOTE: I wrote Miller to ask them how they achieved these great results. Here is their response:

We currently only use hops grown in the United States. The major growing areas are in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Some of the types of hops we use include: Cascade, Cluster, Fuggles, Galena and Mt.Hood. Unfortunately, because it is proprietary information, we cannot disclose which hops are used in which brands.

In addition bottled beer exposed to sun or other light sources can undergo a slight photochemical change that sometimes can give the beer a skunky aroma, however, the beer would not get skunky. It would take approximately one minute for this change to take place. Cans provide the most protection from light, and generally product in amber bottles is LESS likely to suffer the effects of light than beer packaged in clear or green bottles. The exceptions are all Miller products that are sold in clear bottles. Miller's understanding and use of special hops enables us to produce a beer that is much more light stable. However, other subtle flavor changes can occur with exposure to too much light. So, keeping any bottled beer (clear or amber) out of direct sunlight helps preserve that just brewed flavor of our products.

Beer is most susceptible to light exposure in the 290 - 425 nanometer range. Amber glass does an excellent job of preventing light from reacting with product in this range.

From a visitor: "It's not about their secret All-American special hops, they use Tetrahop Gold(TM), which is a chemically modified hop extract. The WaPo did a story that explains it."

It's your choice to do what you want, but we know that the risk is lessened in a brown bottle....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok ....time to weed out my green Grolsch bottles? Probably not, I just won't let them sit in the sun..but I will buy brown bottles only in the future thanks for the info

A lot of my bottling is in champagne bottles half of them are green, I just don´t take them out to the sun: bottles are well stored in dark closet or in closed box.

I don't use them for beer, but I save clear and blue and green bottles for ciders, meads, wine, apfelwien- anything I make that doesn't have hops in it. In fact I just rinsed a ton of all of the above, because I'm going to bottle a mead, and 2 wines this afternoon.

If im drinking one of my hoppier IPAs outside by the pool on a hot summer day by the time Im finished the glass it is noticeably skunked.

My question is a follow up....

How much indoor light can fermenting beer tolerate before the exposure skunks the beer?

I ferment in a dark closet, but the room has several CFL lights. If beer skunks in a matter of minutes....the combined exposure during 4 weeks of fermentation could be significant. I guess I should shield my better bottles...maybe even the buckets??

Not exactly sure on time. But I put a dark shirt over my better bottles and just use a rubber band to keep the up tight around the neck.

I would posit that it all depends on the wavelength of the light that damages and that is blocked by the bottle. I'll do some research and find out...

I always shield my FV's with a tee shirt in warm weather,or a old coat/robe in cold weather. Keeps the light out of them (all plastic),& helps keep temps from swinging very much.

John Palmer writes:

"Skunky or cat-musk aromas in beer are caused by photochemical reactions of the isomerized hop compounds. The wavelengths of light that cause the skunky smell are the blue wavelengths and the ultraviolet. Brown glass bottles effectively screen out these wavelengths, but green bottles do not. Skunkiness will result in beers if the beer is left in direct sunlight or stored under fluorescent lights as in supermarkets. In beers which use pre-isomerized hop extract and very little flavoring hop additions, the beer will be fairly immune to damage from ultraviolet light."

So that confirms some of what's already been said here. And I researched what wavelengths are the blue and ultraviolet... those are 475nm and below. So your cooler color temperatures (fluorescent and halogen) are going to damage beer, sunlight more, but incandescent and candlelight would likely not damage beer as much. That's my guess anyway...

I use mostly brown bottles but have a bunch of green bottles as well. I keep all full bottles in boxes lined with black garbage bags, or in the fridge, so I have no problems with skunking.

As for skunking in minutes, I went to the park during the summer with two beers (same batch), one in a brown bottle and one in a green bottle. I set them down, drank the beer in the brown bottle, and didn't get to the one in the green, so I took it home, and drank it later that night. It tasted awful, and it wasn't until I remembered it had been sitting out for a bit in the sunlight that it all made sense. Lesson learned.

Fluorescent lighting will skunk the beer, but there is significant differences in the amount of visible light energy between sunlight and incandescent lighting.

So for example, you are in your clothes closet and have a hard time telling if the pants are black or navy blue. However, when you walk outside in the sunlight it becomes very obvious. In the picture below it shows you that the sun has more energy in the blue spectrum compared to incandescent or fluorescent lighting.

Skunking will take longer in Fluorescent lighting, but it will still happen over time.

Color 202- Observer Final.jpg

I've used the cobalt bottles for many batches without issues. Keep your bottles and carboys out of light as much as possible and you will not have any issues.

The only thing I learn from that video is to not ceran-wrap my beer and leave it out for an hour. Thanks guys...thats what I usually do:smack:

So what this means is that every bar, microbrew you name it all around the world using clear pint glasses should change them out for dark ones??? Also dark lids with straws.

I'll go ahead and get this process started to fix this skunk beer issue. Wish me luck..:mug:

Not disagreeing with what is being said but it seems a little silly to me to be honest. Not sure if I've ever noticed a skunky beer in my 20+ years of drinking, outside of a corona.

...or Bitburger pils in the green bottles. Cans are def better in that case. Or the famous munh lager,again in green bottles. Yuk...Gimme brown bottles. The German amber/amber with touch of green bottles are good too.

i was drinking a homebrew hefe in the sun the other day. i was amazed that it was skunked by the end of the glass

RIC0 said:
So what this means is that every bar, microbrew you name it all around the world using clear pint glasses should change them out for dark ones??? Also dark lids with straws.

No need to go that far... a good number of bars already have subdued lighting to assist the beer goggles ;) so as long as they don't make it bright with 6500K halogens, you'll probably be okay...

i was drinking a homebrew hefe in the sun the other day. i was amazed that it was skunked by the end of the glass

Where are you at??

I haven't seen enough sun to skunk a beer, let alone make me want to sit outside and have a beer in a long time!

Latest posts

Back