whats the highest abv montrachet can take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
so im going to be leaving for a few weeks and am going to leave some carboys with a friend.

one i am going to do cranberry with a few cans of concentrate and s04 yeast

the other is going to be cranberry also and i would like to use as much of the 8lbs of sugar that i have left along with montrachet yeast.

what you guys think?

I think using montrachet would not be the best idea.

If you are looking for something to handle a high ABV I would go with champagne yeast.

I also prefer the flavor profile of champagne yeast to montrachet.

I read 8-15% on other websites(not very helpful). Like Brandon though I enjoy my champagne yeast. My favorite wines are drier than the Sahara Desert.

According to Jack Keller: Montrachet : Perhaps the most popular yeast used. It is available for both red and white wine fermentations and may be called Montrachet Red and Montrachet White. It works especially well in producing Chardonnay in barrel and stainless steel. It also tolerates sulfur dioxide well, but does not work well with high sugar levels (more than 23.5 Brix). It is this ineffectiveness in high sugar levels that is most likely responsible for many stuck fermentations. Temperature range is 59-86°, low flocculation, and alcohol is pretty reliable at 13%.

You may find Keller's site useful: Winemaking: Strains of Wine Yeast
Regards, GF.

I guess i am going to have to try to find time to go to the brew store before i leave

Back