brewing an orval

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobrich

Reaction score
ok so I am done the first stage and the fermentation is 9 days old with no bubbling out of my bobblers. So I have to add the Brettomyces. Would it be better to get this going in a starter? or just drop it in to the beer and wait.
I would prefer to accelerate things (in hopes it is ready for Christmas) but i do not want to risk the beer. So I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance:mug:

I've never used brett myself but I understand it can take quite a while to develop the desired flavor. Not sure about the starter though. Sorry I can't be of any more help.

noobrich said:
ok so I am done the first stage and the fermentation is 9 days old with no bubbling out of my bobblers. So I have to add the Brettomyces. Would it be better to get this going in a starter? or just drop it in to the beer and wait.
I would prefer to accelerate things (in hopes it is ready for Christmas) but i do not want to risk the beer. So I thought I would ask.

It will most certainly NOT be ready by Christmas. At least not Christmas 2012.

Transfer it to secondary and just dump your brett in. It will take a while to ferment.

No way will it be done by Christmas. Bret can take months to finish.. Even a beer with no bret will not be done by Christmas.

Save it for next Christmas.

I have a Orval clone that has been in the bottle for 9 months at cellar temps. It has changed a little sampling here and there. I thought it was becoming oxidized . I had a friend who is a brewer at a local brewpub try it and he said it's the brett starting to come through. I think you should allow a good year for this beer to develop. But yes, drop it in and wait. I dont think you can rush brett.

Yeah that's exactly what I experienced 5 years a ago while brewing a Lambic. That is what I planned on doing and these posts confirm this is the best approach.

Thanks for the help everyone! The pale ale is ready for Christmas so all is well!

Back