would anybody know what safale s04 max alcohol tolerance is ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey i just brewed a batch of hard cider that i put alot of sugar in to try to get a really high alcohol% and was wondering if anybody knew what safale s 04 tolerance is. Normaly i put in 1 pound of sugar to 1 gallon of cider but this time i did 2 pounds.. I also pitched two packs of safale s04.

Also wil that be able to fully ferment out the cider? or am i going to have to add more yeast latter?

I'm not sure I ever brewed anything that would push the upper limits as most of my brews have been between 6% to 9% but according to this thread its limit is about 10%, possibly even 11%, but the 11% brewer wasn't able to carbonate successfully. Why aren't you going with Champagne yeast?? Don't want it to dry out too much?

Have a look here scroll down to the 5th page and there's some info on Safale dried yeasts' alcohol tolerances. Says that S-04 can only "re-ferment" beers of up to 6.5%. Strange, because I'm positive that I've managed to carbonate beers that have been over 6.5% ABV. Maybe this means %ABW.

ive used safale s04 sense i started making cider and every time it came out great..

Give it enough time to ferment out and see with the SG of it is. Assuming you took an OG reading of course. You can also pitch some EC-1118 into it later. Depending on what the OG was, you might even be able to use something with a lower rating. Something like D47. Personally, for anything that's not a beer, I use Lalvin yeast. That includes cider, hard lemonade and mead. Never had a batch not come out as desired that way.

Latest posts

Back