Addind fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude00

Reaction score
Can i add fruit to my mead that has been aging for around 4 months its a show mead and would like to take 2 gallons off the 5 and add fruit to it if i can?

Yeah go for it, what kind of melomel are you gonna turn it into. Just remember that you're gonna have to go through a whole clearing and racking process again, but it will come out good.

2-3 pounds per gallon is usually good for decent flavor, aroma and color, using frozen with nothing added orm if you use fresh, wash them good then, freeze >> thaw >> freeze >> thaw, them it breaks them down so you get better transfer and it also takes care of anything crappy that potentially could be on them so no need to cook or santize.

oh and if you have any pectic enzyme, dust your frozen fruit while it is thawing or cut up and dust your fresh fruit before doing the freeze/thaw process, it will help alot in getting the good stuff out of it as well as aid in clearing your melomel.

Whats better to us frozen or fresh. Frozen is a lot cheaper and seems like it would be a lot easier then fresh with having to freeze and trew steps

I always like using frozen fruits because its one less step you need to take. Fresh is nice, but need to be frozen so that the ice crystals break down cell walls so that more of the fruit can be utilized. I've taken a load of fresh fruit and tossed them in a magic bullet blender, froze it, forgot about it, and thawed it when I wanted to change up a hydromel. Good luck!

Frozen is fine, it's consistent and pretty much ready to go (minus the pectic enzyme if you have or can get some) just read the package, most have nothing added but there are some brands that add sugar and preservatives.

Latest posts

Back