bucket vs. carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what. Primary doesn't matter to me. Secondary I like Carboy with little headspace. Carboy if you like to watch active fermentation.

Buckets are easy to move around and safer than glass carboys. I use buckets for Primary, and if I need to secondary for Fruit or Dry Hop then use a Glass Carboy.

This is something I've actually been wondering for a little while because I have access to food grade buckets for next to nothing. To add to HooSteen's question. Currently I've been using better bottles for secondary but I have three buckets I am picking up tomorrow so I can brew more at once. Is it possible to use buckets for secondary? Ive been doing a couple very experimental brews and I'd like to cut costs in any way I can.

Whichever is empty, i have a big sink for cleaning the glass, and a towel to dry the outside of the glass and im not very affected by the weight.

I secondary (when I secondary) in buckets. To eliminate some of the headspace issues o user my 6.5 gallons to primary, and I have picked up a few food grade 5 gallons for secondary.

You can use either one, the only issue to be concerned with is the possibility of oxidation due to too much headspace in the secondary but IMO if your secondary time is only for a short time it's not a huge concern. Long term conditioning is a bigger problem.

I ferment 6.25 gallon batches in my 6.5 gallon buckets and when I do secondary I then rack to a 6 gallon better bottle.

Back