I'm confused - (flocculation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SexPanther13

Reaction score
So I'm going to do a strong Belgian Ale, and I am going to use Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale. This says it has a low flocculation. All of the other yeasts I've used were high flocculation.

First of all can someone clarify what flocculation even is, because I have a general idea but I feel something is escaping me.

Secondly, what kind of precautions/preparations should I take to make sure this yeast does its duty?

I apologize ahead of time for being an idiot.

Flocculation-the state of being clumped together. In the case of yeast, it is the clumping and settling of the yeast out of solution.
-John J. Palmer HOW TO BREW
Since its a strong ale due a starter to help the yeast complete the ferment before the alcohol is to much for the little guys.

And low Flocculation means the yeast will stay in suspension longer ie more cloudy, but eventually it will drop out

I've come to hate using yeasts with low flocculation because apparently I'm more sensitive than most to the yeast-bite flavor derived from suspended yeast. So I use a lot of high floc yeasts.

However, if I want to use a low floc yeast, I'll use gelatin to help with clarification. You might want to consider this - such an easy step to give you tastier and clearer beers.

Unfortunately gelatin isn't an option, as I am a vegetarian and gelatin is animal derived. Is there anything else I could clarify with?

Unfortunately gelatin isn't an option, as I am a vegetarian and gelatin is animal derived. Is there anything else I could clarify with?

If you're not opposed to plastic in your beer, you could use polyclar (I think that's the name). Maybe pectic enzyme also...

Low flocculation is nothing (lots of) time, (lots of) cold, or a great filter can't solve.

There are vegan "versions" of gelatin and fining agents derived from sea-weed I believe.. Do a search for vegetarian or vegan fining agents.

Irish moss is a clarifier derived from seaweed that is commonly available.

Latest posts

Back