Question about Bayou vs. hurricane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churdbird

Reaction score
Anybody know if the Bayou Classic can be converted to NG? If so where do you get the cenverter valve? I know that the Hurricane can be but Bayou?

Also why is the Bayou rated at 155,00 BTU and the Hurrican only 60,000? Appears to be almopst the same burner but thats a huge diff. in btu's..

Thanks.

Pressure

NG is low pressure, most burners (such as bayou) are set up for high pressure. The hurricane is set up for 1psi, which is why it can be converted to NG with only a valve change. The bayou classic cannot be converted to NG unless you drill out the holes.

BTU = fuel/time
The bayou has more BTUs because at a higher pressure you can force more fuel out of the burner in a given period of time. For a reference, my Hurricane gets 5 gallons of water to boil in ~12-15 min.

the burner itself is half the BTU equation. the regulator output PSI is the other half.

My KAB5 comes at 155,000 BTU with the 15 psi regulator (I believe). I could put a 20psi regulator on it and dish out 225,000 btu's if I wanted to melt the paint off every house in the neighborhood.

I buy that. The Hurricane may be low psi, but in NorthernBrewer they are advertising a regulator kit that goes w/ the burner that states that it is "high pressure, low output."
So, is it low pressure?
I understand that the more you put to it, the more it's going to burn!

Back