Jeep Replacement Tops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
Has anyone had to replace their Jeep top? I'm looking at some of Bestop's replacements and am leaning towards the Sailcloth...just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on replacements. I definitely want to keep a rag top on it, and don't want to go too $$$--this one seems like a dependable middle ground top. My current one is losing thread and tabs everywhere, not to mention the small hole it has. Thanks.

I have much experience with this.

DO NOT skimp on the top. Don't buy from Pavement Ends or any of those places. Bestop is actually the OEM manufacturer so you can use the same hardware frame you have from your old top. I wouldn't skimp on the sailcloth either--the newer sailcloth tops are arguably as quiet as a hard top.

www.Quadratec.com will match any online price you find--and depending on where you are, shipping is pretty fast.

:rockin:

Dude said:
I have much experience with this.

DO NOT skimp on the top. Don't buy from Pavement Ends or any of those places. Bestop is actually the OEM manufacturer so you can use the same hardware frame you have from your old top. I wouldn't skimp on the sailcloth either--the newer sailcloth tops are arguably as quiet as a hard top.

www.Quadratec.com will match any online price you find--and depending on where you are, shipping is pretty fast.

:rockin:

Bestop recommendation seconded.
And while we're on the topic always choose Tuffy over Iron Horse or BestTop when choosing lockable consoles and replacement glove box.

I also feel that Wet Okole has the best seat covers and in this case you can beat Quadratec by going to the manufaturer directly. http://www.wetokole.com/ They have an office in Costa Mesa, Ca as well as the Hawaiian HQ.

Thanks for the info, guys. I was going to order from whitney, but for $20 less, I can even get tinted windows in a sailcloth from quadratec.

Great "name" there olllllo. Very cool.

I'll vote for the Bestop replacement top as well. As far as sailcloth goes, I've heard they are just as quiet as a hard top but if you want to make sure then you could test drive a new TJ as they come equipped with the sailcloth tops. I've recently replaced my top with one I bought off of EBAY for $250 (Smittybuilt) and the quality doesn't stack up to Bestop. That old adage "you get what you pay for."

Watch out on those Bestops. I bought a Bestop soft top kit for my Jeep and I was nothing but disappointed with it.

First off, you have to install A LOT of hardware to get it on. If you're like me and have a hard-top also, you then have to remove all the hardware to put the hard-top back on. You can't have both hard and soft on at the same time like you can with a true Jeep soft top.

Also, the soft-top didn't fit right at all.

I didn't even bother putting on the softtop this summer, I just kept the hard-top on. I'm really disappointed with the POS.

Cheesefood said:
Watch out on those Bestops. I bought a Bestop soft top kit for my Jeep and I was nothing but disappointed with it.

First off, you have to install A LOT of hardware to get it on. If you're like me and have a hard-top also, you then have to remove all the hardware to put the hard-top back on. You can't have both hard and soft on at the same time like you can with a true Jeep soft top.

Also, the soft-top didn't fit right at all.

I didn't even bother putting on the softtop this summer, I just kept the hard-top on. I'm really disappointed with the POS.

Cheese, I think there must be a big difference between the OEM replacement tops and the top that comes with its' own hardware. I had no problems replacing my OEM replacement top.

On a side note: After the numerous break-ins and window slashing I would prefer to have a hard top anyway.

my .02

Flyin' Lion said:
Cheese, I think there must be a big difference between the OEM replacement tops and the top that comes with its' own hardware. I had no problems replacing my OEM replacement top.

On a side note: After the numerous break-ins and window slashing I would prefer to have a hard top anyway.

my .02

Yeah, the OEM top is very different from the Bestop soft top. If you're just looking for a replacement cloth, then I'd suppose the Bestop would work. If you're looking for an entire ST system, spend the extra $400 and buy the Jeep brand top. The Bestop system is really THAT bad.

Cheesefood said:
Yeah, the OEM top is very different from the Bestop soft top. If you're just looking for a replacement cloth, then I'd suppose the Bestop would work. If you're looking for an entire ST system, spend the extra $400 and buy the Jeep brand top. The Bestop system is really THAT bad.

The jeep brand is the same as Bestop. Bestop actually manufactures the OEM tops that you get on a brand new Jeep.

Cheesefood said:
Then why is the Bestop so different?

Look at this: http://www.bestop.com/installation_guides/51713.pdf

Okay...the material is the same, because OEM tops are made by Bestop. However, a complete replace-a-top by Bestop has different hardware because Jeep has the patent on the frame design and won't let Bestop use it.

However, you can buy a Bestop that utilizes the OEM frame.

I take it you only had a hard top on your Jeep, and had to buy the frame set-up along with your soft top because you didn't have a soft top originally?

Dude said:
I take it you only had a hard top on your Jeep, and had to buy the frame set-up along with your soft top because you didn't have a soft top originally?

Yep, that's the case. We looked all over but we couldn't find a Wrangler in stock with all the features we wanted. The one I have is the closest we came to getting everything. The next closest didn't have AC, and that's not an option in Chicago.

Interestingly enough, it looks like none of the Jeep dealerships are stocking Wranglers right now. Maybe it's different in your areas, but I was just at the dealership to get work done and couldn't even find a used Wrangler for sale.

olllllo said:

I think the 4 door looks pretty sweet. I hate the fender flares and that huge ugly ass bumper though. Still can't get over the power windows/door locks though. Love the interior though.

Boy am I glad I got the last year of the 4.0 though. Everyone who has driven the 3.8 says it is a dog.

I agree with Best Top too. And Quadratec is great. I am not sure where Madison NJ is, but Quadratec is right in West Chester, PA. You can do a counter pick up and save the shipping if you are close to southeastern PA. I would guess it is 25-30 min from Cherry hill.

I had a Jeep in college and went to West Chester U., so I had many dealings with them, they are a very good company.

Thanks for your input guys. I got the sailcloth the day after ordering from Quadratec and put it on this weekend. It's silent and looks great. I do notice that it gets warmer inside with this one, which I'd chalk up to the increased thickness of this one over the OEM top. And unscratched windows (for now)...what a luxury.

olllllo said:
I also feel that Wet Okole has the best seat covers and in this case you can beat Quadratec by going to the manufaturer directly. http://www.wetokole.com/ They have an office in Costa Mesa, Ca as well as the Hawaiian HQ.

I'm not a fan of Wet Okole. Wet Okole covers on my 2000 TJ wore out in 18 months. They were quite expensive. I definitely won't ever buy them again. They also seem to retain heat and increase friction with your clothing so you can't slide in and out of your Jeep as easily. They aren't easy to clean and show stains easily, depending on the color and/or pattern. My charcoal grey ones are downright ugly now. They aren't waterproof and they definitely won't keep your cloth seats underneath them dry when it rains.

My cloth seats in my Jeep are in excellent condition, so I'd be fine just to remove the Wet Okole's once they get too tattered looking. Next time I decide to spend money on my Jeep for seats or covers, I'm going to buy waterproof seats that I can hose off easily.

beer4breakfast said:
I'm not a fan of Wet Okole. Wet Okole covers on my 2000 TJ wore out in 18 months. They were quite expensive. I definitely won't ever buy them again. They also seem to retain heat and increase friction with your clothing so you can't slide in and out of your Jeep as easily. They aren't easy to clean and show stains easily, depending on the color and/or pattern. My charcoal grey ones are downright ugly now. They aren't waterproof and they definitely won't keep your cloth seats underneath them dry when it rains.

My cloth seats in my Jeep are in excellent condition, so I'd be fine just to remove the Wet Okole's once they get too tattered looking. Next time I decide to spend money on my Jeep for seats or covers, I'm going to buy waterproof seats that I can hose off easily.

That hasn't been my experience at all, but I live in the desert and cloth seats can be destroyed by UV in a year. I feel that the fact that you don't have to remove them to clean them is a plus. Did you buy the cleaner from them?

Incidently, Wet Olole' is wet ass in Hawaiian.

No, I didn't buy the cleaner from them. The only time I clean the inside (or the outside, for that matter) of my Jeep is when it gets too much mud and dirt accumulation from offroading. I just hose it down on the inside. I did manage to screw up my radio and my turn signals that way. I don't understand why the interior of Jeeps, especially the dashboard, isn't waterproof in the first place. That would make them really easy to clean with a water hose.

Back