Quick Disconnect, Shirron and Brewpot Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weremichael

Reaction score
I've searched/read the various Quick Disconnect threads, visited my local Fastenal store and another hardware store and I still can't find which quick disconnects I need. Neither my local Fastenal nor my local hardware store have the parts for me to look at, so I've decided to order via Mcmaster (with the help of this forum).

What I want is yellow brass disconnects that connect my brewpot to my Shirron plate chiller and out to my fermentation vessel. I want to use my existing 1/2" tubing and my brewpot's 3/8" NPT valve. The Shirron plate chiller has 1/2" NPT male threads. It seems that 3/8" internal diameter would make perfect sense for the quick disconnects.

From the brewpot's 3/8" female threaded valve, I want a 90 degree disconnect that has a barbed end to connect to the tubing. I would also like 90 degree disconnects (with barbed end) to connect to both the "hot" and "cold" sides of my Shirron plate chiller (1/2" male threaded). I would like to use the least amount of parts possible to eliminate the possibility of harboring bugs that cause infections.

Can anyone help me develop a parts list to order from Mcmaster?

I currently sanitize my Shirron plate chiller by baking it in a 300 degree oven for 25 minutes. Is it possible to keep the non-tubing side of the disconnects attached to the chiller while baking?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

I have a Shirron chiller, and I use it with NPT fittings, but keep wondering about the gunk building up in the threads. You could turn around the plate chiller so that you use the GHT fittings as the path for the wort. That way you can call the fittings "sanitary". Maybe you could even fine a silicone gasket replacement for the GHT.

Then for the cooling water, just find GHT to NPT fittings. Might as well go this route if you're going to spend the money on the fittings!

I guess the point being, you don't need QDs for this route since GHT is just twist on and twist off. And this would have an advantage of being more sanitary if you see what I'm saying.

I have a Shirron chiller, and I use it with NPT fittings, but keep wondering about the gunk building up in the threads. You could turn around the plate chiller so that you use the GHT fittings as the path for the wort. That way you can call the fittings "sanitary". Maybe you could even find a silicone gasket replacement for the GHT.

Then for the cooling water, just find GHT to NPT fittings. Might as well go this route if you're going to spend the money on the fittings!

Terrazza,

Sadly, when it comes to writing to me about this subject (and many others for that matter), you have to assume you're communicating with a seven year old. I've done a google search for GHT and I came across this image:

26480.jpg

Is that the type of connection you're talking about?

When you say that it's twist on/twist off, is it twist on/off by hand tightening or by using a wrench? I am trying to get past using my wrench and screwdriver to attach and dismantle/reverse the flow/clean/sanitize.

Anymore help will gladly be accepted.

-Michael

GHT = Garden Hose Thread

Mcmaster has what you need.

Goes in the 3/8" female threads of the kettle valve:
6739K57
Hose Couplings for Coolant Plug, 3/8" NPTF Male, 3/8" Coupling Size
In stock at $1.09 Each

This goes on the input of your chiller, coupled with a 1/2" pipe coupling because unfortunately they don't have a female pipe thread version in 1/2":
6739K59
Hose Couplings for Coolant Plug, 1/2" NPTF Male, 3/8" Coupling Size
In stock at $1.93 Each

These go on both ends of your 1/2" (high temp hopefully) tubing:
6739K68
Hose Couplings for Coolant Sleeve-Lck Sckt, 90 Deg Barb, 3/8" Cplg, 1/2" Hose ID
In stock at $8.01 Each

With the male part of the disconnect on your chiller, there are no rubber parts and you can continue to heat sanitize. However, you might find that running a couple gallons of boiling wort through the path prior to turning on the coolant water to be a bit easier from batch to batch.

Thanks Bobby for the parts list. I do have silicone tubing, thanks for the concern. :)

Shouldnt the parts be 1/2"?

According to Northern Brewer: "This chiller has 1/2" NPT threaded male hookups for the wort, and male Garden Hose fittings for the chilling and waste water. Wort may be pumped or gravity fed through the chiller."\

NEVERMIND, I obviously didnt read your description well enough

Latest posts

Back