Keg Deal comparison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoVa

Reaction score
I'm new here and trying to soak up all of the information(and good deals) on this website so bear with me.

I'm contemplating different deals in starting my kegerator conversion and I'd like some feedback on what you think is the best deal. I found a deal locally on craigslist where the person was selling 3 corny homebrew kegs and 1 corny keg that doesnt work. In addition to this, the person is selling a 5lb co2 (or10lb the person wasn't sure of the size) plus the regulator. The co2 tank will need to be recertified, but all in all it is around 125.

I will still need another keg to buy to make 4

OR

Buy 4 reconditioned kegs from the classified section(around 100 dollars) and keep looking for a co2 tank and/or rent.

My question to all of you. Which deal shouldI take? I realize the recert should be around 20 or 30 dollars for the co2.

Thanks

I haven't looked for rental places around here yet, but wouldn't they require a deposit for the co2 tank? I guess depending on the amount of the deposit I may go that route.

Fwiw if you do end up buying a new co2 tank and don't want to exchange it for an old one, bars by bud on rt 29 in merrifield will refill while you wait for a reasonable price, although I forget how much exactly.

I don't know of anywhere in the area that rents co2 but have not looked extensively.

Regarding the co2 tank, I would call around to see what the best deal you can find on co2 is and then do whatever methods they are willing to accept. Some places will only fill, some only exchange, some only exchange their own (rented), etc.... Most of the fill places I've seen seem to be more expensive than the exchange places.

The place I go will only exchange and they only handle 20 lb tanks but it's only $15 and takes 2 minutes.... I found one fill place that wanted $60 to fill a 20 lb.

"Renting" is basically this:
You PURCHASE a CO2 tank, but when you run out, you trade it in for a full one, rather than have them fill that one. You don't have to take to the same place, nor do you have to ever return it. Whichever one is in your possession, you own.

I got one yesterday for $90 bucks. I like knowing that I'll never have to get it hydro tested because I can just trade it in for a valid one.

As for the better deal, you have to weigh your options, what if you test the co2 tank and it doesn't pass? Then you spent $125+$30=$155 for 3 kegs and a broken one (might not be able to fix). If you know what you're looking for then you might be able to look a little deeper and maybe even get the price reduced (from the craigslist). But if this is your first setup, then I might just go with sure things.

I just got my first setup: 2 kegs and a co2 tank from craigslist.

So I go into a local welding supply store and they don't fill tanks, they only swap, and he didn't want mine. So I go to another place that actually fills and they told me that I needed to get it hydrotested and guess what.. They don't do it anywhere in my town. YAY!!! I basically said fcuk it and went and bought one from the original guy that way I can always swap them for $13.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to buy 4 cornies from insco2 and hold off on co2 until I find nearby places that rent or a good deal. The co2 tank not passing was my biggest worry. I'm not in much of a hurry as I plan to do this over christmas time(still a college student). I still may pursue the co2 tank and regulator from the person on craigslist to see how low he can go, but at this point I'm happy with what I have.

Now off to craigslist for a chest freezer.

Haha, yeah, you're like half a step behind me, I'm still getting everything gathered and set up as well. I say half step because I've already started working on my keezer. Haha.

Did you check out welding places in your area? That's where I get mine filled- I have two used steel 20# tanks, and one new aluminum 5# tank. Refill on the 5 is cheap, and what I usually do, and I keep a 20# filled 'just in case'. As long as the hydro test is still valid (even within a week) they will swap it for me. I'd say if you get a cheap place, rent one and swap, it will save you trouble 8 years down the line when the hydro test runs out. If you get lucky and receive an aluminum one, just get it refilled and swap it till hydro test is about out (Russian roulette until you score another or that one retested).

Back