What's the longest you would let Bleach/Water sit in a Plastic Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just went downstairs to get my Funnel which is stored in my Plastic Coleman Extreme Mash Tun. When I opened the lid, I was Horrified. In the bottom, after my last Brew session, I must not have cleaned well enough as I now have some Mold issues on the bottom of my Mash Tun. Needless to say, I am in the process of tearing it apart and cleaning. I want to soak the inside of the cooler and the Copper Lautering Manifold in a strong Bleach/Water Solution. Think an hour is to long for a Plastic Cooler to be subjected to that?

Don't worry I and many others have had this happen. If you do the bleach for an hour and then rinse well and then soak/scrub with PBW and rinse well and then some Starsan then your mashtun will be as nice as it was before the mold. It only happens when we get in a hurry and forget to clean it. It is the perfect breeding ground for mold. Always air it out with it open so it drys out. Store with the lid open a bit.

Bleach in a plastic cooler is no problem after all beach comes in a plastic bottle. If you have any metal such a Stainless steel soaking in chlorine bleach isn't recommended. If everything is clean then 5 minutes is all you need.

I agree with the above comments. I would not leave bleach-water on metal parts for very long. I store my fermentors, PET and glass, in bleach-water. 2 oz / 5 gal. I have 7 fermentors so it can be many months. The mild bleach solution cleans the surface deposits off. No scrubbing required. I rinse them like crazy and check for a bleach smell. If I find it to smell I keep rinsing. Inside & Out. - I'll do both since I don't know the source of the smell.

Anything you mash you are going to boil the hell out of so I would not be overly worried. I'd just try to clean it well and let it air dry. Store the cooler cracked open. You can also ball up a piece newspaper as it will suck any moisture vapor leftover once you close it up.

Back