Probably a dumb keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
but...I've picked up a couple used 5 gal cornelius kegs and all the pictures of other kegs I've seen have a ring (to release pressure I assume) on the lid. The two that I have don't have a ring on the lid they have an elevated metal part with four circles on the top. Am I missing something or are there two different kinds?

Bobby_M said:
It's a non ventable overpressure relief. If you need to manually vent, you'll have to press the gas in poppet with something like a screwdriver.

Sorry there is actual three holes on the lid of the corny kegs. It's a raised bump with three holes and if I look through the holes there looks like there is some kind of plastic tab or something.

When you say "press the gas in poppet with something like a screwdriver" do I put something in those three holes and press down? I tried that and I pressed down on that plastic thing inside and it wouldn't move.

I have the kegs filled with water and on CO2 to test them out and I swear when I had them taken apart the lid didn't have a hole on the underside of it.

Any thoughts?

No, the poppet valves are inside the posts that you put your gas in and beer out disconnects on. In order to vent these kegs, if necessary, you'll have to remove the gas in disconnect and push something down on the little circle. Ignore the thing on the lid, there's no way to force a vent on it. It's just for safety.

Emphasis on the GAS poppet valve. Nothings worse than catching a blast of beer in the face when you shove a screwdriver in the liquid poppet valve. I only speak from experience on multiple occasions. I always think after I do it again.... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you're an idiot:drunk:

Thanks guys I figured that out.

Another question. I put water in my kegs to clean and check for leaks. I put 10 PSI on the kegs and they stayed at this pressure as long as the tank was turned on. When I turned the tank off the pressure has been slowly dropping. Is this normal or does this mean I have a leak somewhere?

rh348877 said:
Thanks guys I figured that out.

Another question. I put water in my kegs to clean and check for leaks. I put 10 PSI on the kegs and they stayed at this pressure as long as the tank was turned on. When I turned the tank off the pressure has been slowly dropping. Is this normal or does this mean I have a leak somewhere?

If the kegs have significant amounts of water, the pressure will drop as the water is becoming carbonated. If it falls to zero, you have a leak. If the kegs are empty, you have a leak.

Back