American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed and bottled, subbed out half the pale malt for wheat

image-3832785039.jpg

image-105354497.jpg

Just brewed this one for the 1st time today. Everything went smoothly except for one big Oops - No coriander. How important is the coriander to the flavor profile? Most discussion appears to center on the orange and hops additions. Am I OK leaving the coriander out or does it really add to the beer? Lastly if I need to add it can I just make a tea and add at same time as the dry hops? Never triad anything like that so not sure how that would turn out.

Thanks.

Just brewed this one for the 1st time today. Everything went smoothly except for one big Oops - No coriander. How important is the coriander to the flavor profile? Most discussion appears to center on the orange and hops additions. Am I OK leaving the coriander out or does it really add to the beer? Lastly if I need to add it can I just make a tea and add at same time as the dry hops? Never triad anything like that so not sure how that would turn out.

Thanks.

I would make a tea and add it to secondary with the dry hop.

Brewed this ale this past weekend, but altered the recipe a little bit. I live in Korea, so some malts aren't readily available.

Used pilsner as the base, with munich and crystal 20 for color. Cascades, orange zest, and coriander were added as per the recipe. Pitched S-05 as well.

Sure smelled good going into the fermenter, hope it turns out tasty.

Brewing this as my first 10 gallon ag batch this weekend. Can't wait to give it a try! Going to follow the recipe exactly this time and see if I want to tweak it a little later on for more or less orange.

A little cloudy, but it taste great. Might clear up a little the longer it sits in the keg.

image-4015120490.jpg

GOt my supplies from my LHBS today. They looked at me funny when I asked for 12 oz of cascade. They asked if I was making a super hoppy IPA. Just making 10 gallons of a pale ale :) Can't wait to brew this on sunday. Got the sweet orange peel and coriander from them....yum :)

D_Nyholm said:
GOt my supplies from my LHBS today. They looked at me funny when I asked for 12 oz of cascade. They asked if I was making a super hoppy IPA. Just making 10 gallons of a pale ale :) Can't wait to brew this on sunday. Got the sweet orange peel and coriander from them....yum :)

I usually buy Cascades by the pound so I always have a stock of them in the deep freezer. Pretty much a staple hop for all of my APA's and IPA's so I use them up pretty fast.

I usually buy Cascades by the pound so I always have a stock of them in the deep freezer. Pretty much a staple hop for all of my APA's and IPA's so I use them up pretty fast.

Yeah, I was going to do that but with the shipping it ended up being the same as my lhbs. I guess if I ordered a bunch of other stuff it should have been worth it.

Just tasted a sample after 2 weeks of fermentation. The orange flavor is there, just very light. I may dry hop some orange peel in there. Also, mine finished at 1.010 with s04 and tastes a little thin. I mashed at 156 and it dropped to about 154 after an hour so I was expecting 1.013 or higher. Still tasted good and I bet will be even better after the dry hop!

I have done the original recipe with great success but also used the grain bill in a belma and cascade pale ale and love it.

I just brewed this last saturday as my first all grain attempt. I did 2.5 gallons. My original gravity was about 1.056. A little higher than expected, but better than too low i guess. Cant wait to try. I wont be racking to secondary. Thank you blacklab for sharing

I'm still pretty new to brewing, but have had success so far. i plan on doing this brew on saturday and was wondering if fresh orange peel would be ok?
i would also like to add a couple ounces to the secondary with the dry hop. would this work ok? impart some orange aroma to mix with the cascades garpfruit?
thanks a million for sharing the recipe way back when!

I'm still pretty new to brewing, but have had success so far. i plan on doing this brew on saturday and was wondering if fresh orange peel would be ok?
i would also like to add a couple ounces to the secondary with the dry hop. would this work ok? impart some orange aroma to mix with the cascades garpfruit?
thanks a million for sharing the recipe way back when!

Fresh Orange Peel is fine. I just finished making mine with that, and it turned out nice, not as much orange as I was expecting though...

I did this recipe with orange zest from a few naval oranges and it turned out great, but I'd be careful if using whole orange peels because the white part can be extremely bitter, in a bad way. I've heard of people using those small oranges, clementines I think they're called, because they have very little white part but I've never tried it myself.

I did this recipe with orange zest from a few naval oranges and it turned out great, but I'd be careful if using whole orange peels because the white part can be extremely bitter, in a bad way. I've heard of people using those small oranges, clementines I think they're called, because they have very little white part but I've never tried it myself.

thanks for that advice and what would you recommend i use to peel these rinds off the orange while avoiding the white part?

The advantage to using fresh orange peel is that you get to eat a few delicious oranges afterwards!

I zest up a few oranges in mine and add to boil. The first batch was good last winter.

In early December I made my second batch and also added zested orange peel and some homegrown leaf cascades to the chilled keg. It has remained hoppy and orange like all the way through the keg this time, instead of fading halfway through. Definitely recommend! I boiled just enough water to cover the peels and soaked for 3 minutes. Then added the water and put the peels in the mesh hop bag.

i made this today. zesting oranges is work!
so is crushing coriander for that matter!
ended up at 1050 for gravity.
the wort smelled so fresh and delicious. i definitley see what the coriander will do for this beer now.

the wort smelled so fresh and delicious. i definitley see what the coriander will do for this beer now.

It takes a bit of effort, like everything worth doing! Hope it works out for you.

I can't wait for this one to be bottle conditioned and ready to enjoy. My last hydrometer sample (after 19 days in primary) tasted and smelled really nice. There was a strange aftertaste, but I am trying not to worry about it. I am telling myself that it will just improve after bottle conditioned and cold/carbonated. This is my first all grain beer, and first home brew since 2011. Really excited about this one.

I picked up the ingredients today and I'm looking forward to brewing it up on Sunday! Thanks for the recipe.

Just dropping in to give thanks to blacklab for this recipe. I bottled on 1-4-13 and am enjoying my first pint as we speak. (sneak preview) I'm not one for fruit beer, actually made it for swmbo...but I'm going to be all over this one. I stayed very true to the recipe, used 1 oz sweet + 1 oz bitter dry orange peel, only 1 pack so4, and used a touch more vienna. Hit 6.2%abv. My take on the beer so far...
The soft nose is all cascade with coriander, the initial taste is clean with the orange and cascades blending perfect. First sip I thought the orange peel was a touch overbearing, but it's growing on me. It's not too sweet, I don't like sweet. Hops are dominating, coriander is letting itself be known in the aftertaste, which is nice and bitter, begging for another sip. This beer rocks! Thank you.

Go Beavs:)

P1010690.JPG

just racked this to secondary and added the dry hops and the zest of three more oranges. gravity checked in at 1012 and it smelled wonderful.

This one has been in the bottle for about 10 days. I know it will only get better. Can't wait for the rest of the bottles to condition fully.

cascade orange pale ale.JPG

Just dropping in to give thanks to blacklab for this recipe. I bottled on 1-4-13 and am enjoying my first pint as we speak. (sneak preview) I'm not one for fruit beer, actually made it for swmbo...but I'm going to be all over this one. I stayed very true to the recipe, used 1 oz sweet + 1 oz bitter dry orange peel, only 1 pack so4, and used a touch more vienna. Hit 6.2%abv. My take on the beer so far...
The soft nose is all cascade with coriander, the initial taste is clean with the orange and cascades blending perfect. First sip I thought the orange peel was a touch overbearing, but it's growing on me. It's not too sweet, I don't like sweet. Hops are dominating, coriander is letting itself be known in the aftertaste, which is nice and bitter, begging for another sip. This beer rocks! Thank you.
Go Beavs:)

Awesome, glad you like it! Hope you're enjoying Bend, I lived there for years. Really miss it.

Awesome, glad you like it! Hope you're enjoying Bend, I lived there for years. Really miss it.

:off: Bend is Just keeps getting better! You might be interested to know a new brewery is opening here this week. It is going to be the second largest, behind Deschutes. It's a massive building, with the first canning line in the area. I think that makes 14 breweries..:rockin:..Thanks again, cheers:mug:

:off: Bend is Just keeps getting better! You might be interested to know a new brewery is opening here this week. It is going to be the second largest, behind Deschutes. It's a massive building, with the first canning line in the area. I think that makes 14 breweries..:rockin:..Thanks again, cheers:mug:

Is that the Paul Evers joint?

Is that the Paul Evers joint?
He teamed up with the great Larry Sidor, and others and opened 'Crux' last summer. Small scale, exceptional beer.

This place is the is the first to venture to the east side of town. A Cali guy, Roger Worthington is the big cheese, hired a brewmaster from Laurelwood brewing to run it, so it's going to be legit. Check it out.
http://www.worthybrewing.com/home.html

I know I'm old, but what does swmbo stand for. I've seen this on a number of forum topics, but don't have any idea of what it means.

Latest posts

Back