Anyone in Jacksonville with a mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33rmug

Reaction score
I have been having efficiency problems and though maybe I would try to get someone else to mill my grain. I have been using the lhbs to do the milling and have been consistently 50%. If I have another problem somewhere else in my process, that's fine. This is just one step in the troubleshooting.

PM me if you can help

My efficiencies are not the best from JBI mill either, if that is who you are talking about, however I generally get around 65

Check with Luch (pronounced Luke) at Engine 15 at the beaches or call Keegan at Pinglehead brewing at Brewer's Pizza in Orange Park. They might let you use their grain mills.
s

I might just do that, I brewed a black IPA this weekend that should have been around 1.095 @ 65% efficiency and I ended up at 1.078. I literally threw my hands in the air.

I never did. I just have been getting it double crushed. I picked up 20% the first time. Saturday I did about 64%. I think I am going to buy one.

I picked up a corona at the flea market this week, I'm gonna play with it this weekend, will let you know how it goes

So I did use it this past week, however I did a stove-top small batch and I ended up having some issues with my grinder hopper setup which ended up spilling about 6-8 oz of malt on the floor, it was also a new Belgian dark I am experimenting with, I am going to brew my standard stout this week, and will have better controls/measurements.
That being said I ended up way high on my og, like off the scale high, granted I had to add water afterwards, as my post-boil volume was low. I added water and measured 1.073, however, I don't trust a reading after I dilute a wort. So I assume my efficiency was better than expected. But due to the issues I had prior I won't know until next batch.

Ok, due to some family obligations, I finally got around to brewing another batch, this time I ran a batch of stout @ 65%, my OG should have been 1.068 it ended up at 1.087 which is roughly 81%, I couldn't be any happier, I will continue to post as I brew

I live close to Engine 15 in Jax Beach. The guys there are great and you can hit me up anytime too if you're ever out this way. I have a Barley Crusher mill that you are welcome to test with.

Back