Correct step bit for drilling brewpot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
So I got the "Weld less fitting to convert a keg, kettle, or pot." from great bargains, and it has a 1/2" Stainless nipple.
http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop1.html -- second one on the page.

What size step bit do I need? I measured with a ruler and it looks like I'd need 3/4" hole to fit this nipple through...1/2" must be the inner diameter??

I'd like to drill my brewpot today or tomorrow so I can finally start going All grain.

(yes, I'm mechanically retarded)

Don't necessarily discount a bi-metal hole saw. The step bit is nice, but expensive. If you don't think you'll use it a lot, just get a hole-saw and arbor. I've drilled a SS kettle and keg with no problems.

ouch....they wanted almost $40 for a step bit that I'll only use once, or twice. I went with a 7/8" bi-metal hole saw instead for half the cost, as another thread said that'd work fine too.

Check what's available. Ideally, you want to drill the smallest possible hole that will clear that nipple with your gear. I'd test drill into wood or plastic to be sure the hole you are going to drill is what you want.

thanks mr x, i'll do that, although luckily this brewpot was free, and not that high a quality, so if I messed it up I at least won't be out a wad of cash :)

You're right bobby...the 7/8" hole seems too large, and I'm leaking. I guess 3/4" and maybe a little Dremel would've been better.

Gotta see if I can make this work. The pot is too thinly walled...its trying to flex as I open and close the ball valve. At this point I just want it sealing so I can at least make this a HLT.

whew...I think I have the leak problem fixed. testing now...

Get yourself some large ss or brass washers for both sides of the pot to give it some strength. 1/2" electrical locknuts are cheap and can be used on the outside of the pot to torque down the washers if needed.

Back