Pectic Enzyme addition into secondary ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
Well the new apple cyser is coming up to its first racking. Now I used Ken Schramms recipe for his "fall bounty cyser" and it didnt call for pectic enzyme so it didnt get added to the primary ferment. So now, knowing that I would like as clear a final product as possible, and of course Ill give it plenty of time to clear on its own, but is there any possible foreseeable problems with adding the recommended dose of PE into my secondary for the duration of the ferment?

Thanks all!

Ya know that is a good ?? I really don't see any reason to add it at this point. Why don't you post the recipe and lets look at it.
Jay

You really don't need it now that you're racking to secondary. It would've helped with the raisins & dates in primary, but now that it's off the fruit, there's really no reason for it as it will clear on it's own given time. Regards, GF.

I made a wine from pear nectar that was boiled with the fruit. At the time of my primary I didn't have any pectic enzyme, but I added it to the secondary and it turned out nicely clear. GF may be right; it might have cleared anyway, but it didn't seem to hurt anything and it may have helped.

Thank you all for these great replys!!! Ill look into this and get back with you when this batch is done!

Just give it time. I have made multiple cysers with fresh pressed cider and they cleared up for the most part in 4-5 months. Also I never added any PE

Back