Take beer out of the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbtech

Reaction score
I made some home made beer a while age (thanks to this site for much of the advice)! It turned out quite well, I have most of it in a dark cool spot in my basement. And i have quite a few bottles (2 liter plastic bottles) in my fridge. I was wanting to take some of them out of the fridge and place them downstairs with the others to mature. Is this a good idea, or will the beer spoil since it was chilled? Will the beer continue to mature when it is in the fridge at a slower rate or not at all?

Alan

I don't think it will hurt it to take it out. Spoilage is dependant on micro-organisms. They're either there or not. Cold conditioning is good for beer - if you're looking for fridge room, go ahead and take them out. If you're looking for the best beer possible, leave them in. Either way will be fine as long as you don't go to temperature extremes.

Contrary to popular belief, removing beer from a cooler to store at room temp will not have any effect on the beer. (this is of course assuming you don't leave it in your trunk for a week in sweltering heat. ::shudder:: I still have that tast in my mouth)

I agree. Once it's chilled the carbonation process has been retarded and should not re-start unless re-warmed. But IMHO even doing that would not re-kickstart it.

At least keep it cool in the basement afterwards. :D

Back