Anybody try the Austin Home Brew pumpkin ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So what did you decide? Are you going to buy the AHS kit? Also, would you just buy canned pumpkin from the supermarket? AHS doesn't post their instructions for each kit online, so you can't tell from their site how much pumpkin you need to add.

Just curious if anybody has bought this ingredient kit?

Also, curious if I should go with DME instead of LME? Any suggestions?

Thousands and thousands have bought our pumpkin ale kit.

DME or LME is interchangable. Whatever you are used to.

Forrest

Have this kit sitting in Primary right now.. Give me about a month and I'll be able to tell you whether it is any good..

I brewed the extract kit last year. It turned out very good. I used two 29 oz. cans of pumpkin in the boil. I think it would have turned out just as well with one can. I baked the pumpkin in the oven spread out on a cookie sheet at 330F for an hour before adding it to the boil. Pull the trigger on this one - you won't regret it.

I ordered the LME kit on Thursday. Will be here on Wednesday. Would have been here tomorrow if today wasn't a holiday. I can't wait!

I brewed this kit with DME. I used 2 cans of pumkin baked @ 350 for one hour. I steeped the pumkin instead of boiling it. I think it helps keep the trub down while still extracting sugars from the pumkin. I added a bit more spice than what can with the kit. It's getting transferred to secondary this weekend. I'll tell you how it comes out.

I'm going to order this kit today with LME since that is what I've brewed with in my first batch. Do you think this one will require a secondary fermenter? I only have my one fermenting bucket, but will probably order a carboy. Should I go with a 5gal glass carboy as my secondary, or perhaps a better bottle?

Should I go with a 5gal glass carboy as my secondary, or perhaps a better bottle?

I like the Better Bottles! I am new to brewing, and have not used glass. I have 2 6gal BB, and love them. Others (more experienced) here say that they are just like glass, without the weight.

I also suggest getting the plain one. Not with the spigot. I here those thing are a pain to sanitize.
Dave

I brewed this kit on Saturday and it, so far, smells like it's going to be quite an amazing beer. I used the DME option and liquid yeast (which started fermenting in the primary within 8 hours, pretty rapidly too). I also baked two cans of Libby's pure pumpkin before putting that in a nylon mesh bag and steeping it with the grains for 25 minutes. I also put a cup of brown sugar in the steeping session, as I heard that really makes it better.

We'll see how it turns out, but it really did smell delicious.

I brewed this kit on Saturday and it, so far, smells like it's going to be quite an amazing beer. I used the DME option and liquid yeast (which started fermenting in the primary within 8 hours, pretty rapidly too). I also baked two cans of Libby's pure pumpkin before putting that in a nylon mesh bag and steeping it with the grains for 25 minutes. I also put a cup of brown sugar in the steeping session, as I heard that really makes it better.

Exactly how I did it!!! Mine started at 1.064 and was 1.012 today, 17 days later. It tasted very green and couldn't really pick up any pumpkin flavor as of yet. I will transfer to secondary this weekend for 3 more weeks, then bottle. I hope the pumpkin comes out by then.

Why would you not put the pumkin in with the boil? Is there any advantage to steeping the pumpkin and not boiling it? I understand you might get some more fermentable sugar out of the pumkin that way, but what about the pumpkin flavor?

Oh...one more thing. If I do put the pumkin in a nylon bag, do I want a coarse or fine bag? Also, will the small nylon mesh bag from AHS be big enough?

I think I'm a little late for starting a pumpkin ale now but what are people looking at for a Christmas/Holiday ale?

I think I'm a little late for starting a pumpkin ale now but what are people looking at for a Christmas/Holiday ale?

Wow, that is really really :off:

I also baked two cans of Libby's pure pumpkin before putting that in a nylon mesh bag and steeping it with the grains for 25 minutes

So after the 25 minutes you took the nylon with chunky pumpkin goodness out? There are tons of sugars left in there and you might be missing out on a lot of the flavor. You should just boil it right in, it becomes a homogeneous mixture no problem.

So after the 25 minutes you took the nylon with chunky pumpkin goodness out? There are tons of sugars left in there and you might be missing out on a lot of the flavor. You should just boil it right in, it becomes a homogeneous mixture no problem.

Actually if he steeped them for 25 minutes, he more or less mashed it, extracting most of the sugars anyways. What's the point in leaving it in there? The only difference it WAY more trub at the end, and less beer when it's done.

Exactly how I did it!!! Mine started at 1.064 and was 1.012 today, 17 days later. It tasted very green and couldn't really pick up any pumpkin flavor as of yet. I will transfer to secondary this weekend for 3 more weeks, then bottle. I hope the pumpkin comes out by then.

Cool man thanks for the update. I got my kit this past weekend I'm hoping to make it sometime this week.

I just did mine and made a thread about it right before yours. I'm curious why some of you baked the canned stuff? They said you only bake to soften the pumpkin. Anyway, I steeped mine along with the grains in a nylon bag and missed the target a bit @ 1048. It seriously took off though a few hours after I pitched the starter. It's almost alarming the bubbles in my blowoff bottle :D

I can fit two at a time in my freezer and since I was already ordering from them I decided to try their Special Holiday Ale. They also have a few others to choose from.

Just want to know if a coarse or a fine grain bag will work best for the pumpkin? Or should I get a muslin bag?

I'm curious why some of you baked the canned stuff? They said you only bake to soften the pumpkin.

I baked mine because I saw other people recommended it. However, I am an avid cook and I know that baking things brings out different flavors. I would suspect baking the canned pumpkin would give the beer a more enjoyable pumpkin pie (ie baked pumpkin) taste compared to a fresher pumpkin taste.

Baking the pumpkin carmalizes it, allowing you to extract more sugars and flavor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

you all have me really thinking about getting this....i have several commercial pumpkin ales and never been satisfied. wonder if this is any better!

Just brewed mine tonight. THe brew pot is sitting in my sink coolling off now. It sure smells good!
Dave

One person in the kit reviews on the site recommended doubling up on the spices- Any other opinions on this from someone who has previously brewed the kit?

I added a dash more cinnimon, and 1/2 tsp. pumkin pie spice. It's in secondary though, so I can't let you know how it is yet.

I should be getting my kit today. :ban:

How long do you recommend this stay in primary? The typical 3 weeks? I will not be adding any pumpkin.

Any updates? I'm brewing the AHS mini-mash this week.

Mine is still in the primary. Brewed it on Sept. 9. I will probably leave it for another week and a half. That will make 3 weeks in primary. I can't wait!!
It is looking good!

I am running out of homebrew. This sucks. I have a Belgian White ale, and an Amber ale conditioning in bottles, then the pumpkin ale and EdWorts Apfelwein both in fermenters.
I only have about 6 bottles of homebrew left. I had to go buy a couple of 12 packs yesterday. At least I will have more
bottles to use!

Dave

Dave

Did the mini-mash this weekend. Went great! Used one can of pumpkin and one whole pumpkin chopped into cubes. Cooked both for 30min at 350F. Smells great. OG 1.048. Will let you know.

Any updates? I'm brewing the AHS mini-mash this week.

I brewed mine Friday night. Used a 6lb pumpkin from a local farmers market. My wifes birthday was Saturday she for whatever reason wants Uno's pizza on that day, long story short they had a "cask"fest going on at the one we goto. They had 2 pumpkin ale's one imperial on tap and served at 55 degrees. They where OK but I don't think I could drink a whole lot in one sitting.

My beer is now ready to drink today: It is very "OK". Then again, I am not a huge pumpkin beer fan... but still, I've had a few other pumpkin beers, and I was hoping for something a little different.

If I were to tweak this recipe, more spices would be added.

I just bottled mine last night. It was in primary for about 4 weeks. FG was
stuck at 1.020 for the last week. I am assuming it should have been higher then the 1.013 expected becUse of the pumpkin.
Tasted the hydro sample, seemed a bit thin, watery. I know people here say to let it be, we'll see in three weeks!
Dave

I bottled mine just about a week ago..haven't tried one yet. I did have a half bottle left over though --what I realize now is why people say double or triple up on the spices. It was very smooth, but the spices were very subtle. Of course this was tasted @ bottling, but I'm also comparing it to their spices in their holiday ale which were very apparent and upfront. I don't know how this'll change in the next few weeks, but I'm sure it should be good :)

I moved mine to secondary after having 4 days of hydro readings at 1.018. I too assume that the FG is a bit high because of the 4lbs of pumpkin I steeped with the specialty grains. Probably a lot more sugar than without any pumpkin. I'll leave it in the secondary another week before I bottle. I will say it did smell good when I racked. I'm really looking forward to tasting in a few weeks!

Back