Step two complete!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I racked my Hop Devil clone into secondary/clearing tank today after a week in primary. This is my second batch and first secondary.....I have to say that a glass carboy adds some excitement. (I really need to get a life)

This is sort of like being an expectant dad viewing your wife's sonogram at each stage of pregnancy:D

Stage one, primary:
HPIM0137.jpg

Secondary 5 minutes after sealing the bottle: (the foam is from the star san)
HPIM0140.jpg

Empty ferment bucket with remnents of fermentation and trub:
HPIM0139.jpg

Now the wait till bottling day. I'm looking forward to watching the beer clear.

Everything is clean and ready for my next Brew.

Tommy

lorenae said:
I assume you covered the secondary with a towel or blanket or something after the picture. Lorena

No.... why?

Tommy

iggy_fenton said:
Direct sunlight or uv light from flourescent lighting can "damage" the beer and cause "off" flavors.

Wow, thanks for that. I knew about that after bottling but never gave it a thought at secondary.
For the photo the light was on but that's a laundry room and is dark 98% of the time except for when someone goes in to wash or dry, or iron something. Maybe 5 minutes at a time here and there? The light is incandescent and not too bright, especially where the carboy is.

Should I move it to a closet?

Thanks again
Tommy

Either that or cover it with a towel or blanket like lorenae said. That carboy is full of liquid much to precious to take any chances with...

iggy_fenton said:
Either that or cover it with a towel or blanket like lorenae said. That carboy is full of liquid much to precious to take any chances with...

I have a closet in that laundry room and I'm gauging the temp in it right now since it's warm in my basement, 74-77 degrees most times and we're expecting a hot week this week.

Tommy

I have my secondaries set up in my laundry room as it's the coolest room in the house. I just throw a dark colored towel around it and it's fine. There's no direct light in there, but during daylight hours it's not exactly totally dark.

If you simply cover it, there's no need to move it to a closet, unless you want to.

Lorena

"The light is incandescent" and there is no sunlight; you should be ok. A blanket is always good to stabilize temperatures.

Thanks. At the moment I have it covered but I'm concerned about it getting too warm as the temperature goes up this week. My basement is underground and it's dark even in the daytime. The light is turned on for brief periods here and there. Not much to speak of.

Tommy

Personally, I put black tshirts on my carboys even when I'm planning to store them in a closet. Keeps me from making a mistake (or the SWMBO) and changing an incandecent for a florescent or dragging the carboy out of the closet looking for a very important *fill in blank*.

Size large fits well, XL is a little loose.

My wife has a short, fancy Tommy bath robe that closes with velcro. She hasn't noticed that's it's missing from the bathroom and around my carboy in the closet :)

Back