Buon Vino Mini Jet filter for beer transfers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
I've not been able to find anything conclusive on this. I'd like to not have to lift my full buckets in or out of my fermentation fridge, so would a Buon Vino mini jet filter work?

It's a pump system designed for wine, but of course I'd have just hoses on either end and be careful of splashing, etc.

I don't so much care about the filtering aspect, but if might be neat to run a course filter at the same time when going from bucket to keg.

I understand I could somehow rig up a co2 transfer system to perform this task, but it's a pain in my buckets as I have whole lids that I rest on top, there's no bung hole (hehehe) and I'd rather not make one and then have to find a bung to seal it on every bucket when not transferring.

Does this aerate by it's design, or would it be free from that, being that wine wouldn't want to be aerated at bottling either.

That's a good point...pumps don't like running with air in the lines. Totally going to scoop up one for cheap if I can find it, save my back some strain and maybe filter a bit of excess yeast out at the same time!

Before I picked up my autosiphon I used a buon vino for transfers and have filtered a few beers as I kegged. Like you already said watch for splashing and be prepared for beer leaching out of the edges of the filter pads.

Now I suppose this raises the question, to get a $100 mini jet pump that can move not-hot liquids and filter natively, or to get a $150 Chugger pump that can move hot liquids and not-hot liquids, and can be plugged into a separate filter.

Neither of the bonus things is required for me (filtering or moving hot liquids) but both would be nice to haves. I suppose chugger/march pumps don't leak eh?

There is a thread on here that talks about small low voltage pumps of of Amazon that are dirt cheap about the size of fist, that's the way I would try if it was my problem. I have a jet that I bought for wine/mead I wouldn't use for beer, it bleeds quite a bit out the sides of the filters and never had a problem getting beer to clear by following good brewing/fermenting practices.

You don't happen to have more info on that Amazon pump/thread, do you? If I can get away with just the primary function (pumping low temp fluids, safely) for cheap, that'd be awesome. I can always not bother with hot side pumping for now, and can keg-to-keg transfer to filter if need be.

So I wound up finding a Buon Vino Mini Jet for $50 new in box, with a slew of filters. Great deal!

I used it for the first time to try to filter today...omfg....so.annoying. The hassle you need to go through just to get all the filter pads in place, then all the stupid hoses in the right place. Plus my hoses were wound so tight in the box for so long that their natural shape is a spiral now.

Holy crap, nearly lost my sh*t....SO not worth the hassle just to avoid using an autosiphon. And I couldn't even pull the pull up to counter height from the floor, so really what good does it do me? Notta...I can't believe wine goers use this, you must need so much prep time and zen time afterwards calming down from having three hoses flailing about spitting wine all over the room.

It works as a transfer pump I suppose, elevation dependent, but you couldn't pay me enough to use it as a filter for beer at this point.

AND the out tube from the filter assembly, had this huge air mass inside of it which was foaming the beer up, so down the out line into my keg was bubbly foamy beer. Yeah not cool Buon Vino...you're getting re-sold! Beware the aeration....

I stopped before getting more than a liter through the thing, thankfully. Word of caution to anyone out there though...

Back