Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_mckendry

Reaction score
After transfering from the bucket to the glass carboy, what is the average amount of time it should be secondary fermentation?

Depends on what you're brewing. If it's a typical beer under 1.060 or so, then racking it in for a week or two is great; I don't bother and leave it in the primary, as do many others, since that extra week or two isn't going to hurt anything. It's when you're grappling with lagers and high gravity beers that the secondary becomes necessary, and in those cases it will be a good bit longer and depend highly on the style.

It is a Pale Ale at 1.045. I left in primary for 10 days and transfered it after I noticed no signs of fermentation. I am on my my third day of having it in a secondary so it seems as if I am on the right track.

I wasn't able to get a read because my hydrometer broke. Accidently dropped it! I will get over to my local brew store tomorrow and buy one. Would it be okay for me to do a reading tomorrow?

Absolutely! No rush at all, it won't hurt it. Whenever you have the hydrometer then start taking readings, and once it's constant for a couple days then you can safely bottle it. A week or two conditioning will help ensure the yeast has cleared up any acetaldehyde or diacetyl lurking about.

If you haven't already make sure to update the "broken hydrometer count" thread. I think this forum is up to, what, 680 broken hydrometers now? :)

I suggest reading up on how moving to a brite tank is unnecessary for the vast majority of brew styles. IF this was a BIG beer, such as 8% ABV or better, then you would AGE it. Sometimes you age in another vessel, other time syou can just age in primary.

A great many of us wouldn't rack a brew with an OG of 1.045 to another vessel, unless that was a serving keg. Unless you fermented it really warm (above the recommended range for the yeast used), and followed other best methods, chances are it would be ready for bottles/kegs within 2-3 weeks of going active.

BTW, the kits/recipes that say to rack to secondard after X days can be ignored 99.5% of the time. This has been gone over to death already. There's thousands of posts about this (probably from this year alone).

Thanks for all of the feedback! I willl make sure I will add in the broken hydrometer thread! Why cant they make those things out of something other than glass?! It breaks too easily.

Concerning secondary fermentation...

An overwhelming amount of info can be found in this thread.

Many do not use a secondary. See the linked thread for dozens of pages of explanations and "back and forth".

Back