How important is CO2 levels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neville61

Reaction score
I recently bottled my first batch of beer which happens to be a hefeweizen. I used the standard 3/4 cup of priming sugar (which was a bit less than the 5oz package it came in). But reading older posts, it would appear I would have wanted a 3.6-4.5 level of CO2 which would have called for about 7oz of priming sugar.

How much is this going to effect my beer?:drunk:

That is going to depend heavily on YOUR perception of CO2 in beer.

I personally do not care for the higher levels of carbonation and hover around 2.4 for everything. Of packaged beers that are highly carbed I usually let them rest for a while to deflate a bit before I start to drink them.

To add to the previous reply:

even though some beer styles are calling for higher CO2 levels, chances are bottles you are using cannot handle so much pressure.

I also carbonate everything at the same standard level, and I like it this way.

I like to carb to style,but that depends on what the average CO2 level for that beer is. If it's a low carb style,I may go to the max co2 volume. If it's a high one,I may just go a few points higher than minimum.

One caveat I am compelled to add,

If you intend to compete, carbonation can make or break the perception of your beer. Lack of will accentuate maltiness. Too much may increase perceived bitterness.

Exactly so,hit it right on the head. Carbonation levels therefore can be used to create different effects according to style,& your own little tweaks to said perception to get desirable effects.

I really appreciate the help! I have never thought about the carbonation levels of my beer before and so I didn't know if it played a major role in my overall quality of the beer!

It does seem to me so far that many styles wind up in that range,airborne. Until you get into English bitters,1.3 volumes is too flat imo. I'll pump it up to 1.8V next time,to make it more like they claim the bottled EB's are,& see how that tastes.

unionrdr said:
It does seem to me so far that many styles wind up in that range,airborne. Until you get into English bitters,1.3 volumes is too flat imo. I'll pump it up to 1.8V next time,to make it more like they claim the bottled EB's are,& see how that tastes.

I am trying to correct my first esb and the carb level still seems low ar 2 vols

Hmmm...I'll def have to mess around with that one. Just want a bit better balance of malt & hops used. Just a little bit more,but not so much that the classic malt forward quality is gone.

Latest posts

Back