Have I ruined my beer w/orange peel addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mingo

Reaction score
I'm worried I may have ruined a good beer. I decided on a last minute whim to add orange peel to my weizenbier in the secondary fermentation. I didn't pasteurize the peel and added the entire peel of a medium orange. The info I'm seeing after the fact is: 1) I've added too much. 2) I should have used only the zest. 3) I should have added it in the final minutes of the boil, or a least pasteurized it before introduction into the secondary fermentation.

Is there anything I need to add to the brew or could I/should I pasteurize the entire batch?

No, don't pasteurize your beer. At this point, if it were me, I'd let it go and see what happens. The damage, if any, has been done at this point. And there's a good chance that it will be fine.

I can only answer a portion since I have experience in the areas. Adding to secondary is perfectly fine, in fact, I've done it (with other fruits, lemon/lime zest, etc). No, I haven't sanitized them every time. Still came out ok. Since your beer has alcohol in it, it should kill off any minor nasties, unless you drop it in the dirt and rolled it around or dipped it in your toilet before adding it to the secondary or something.

I doubt you've added too much since you've put in the entire peel. I'm assuming you didn't succeed in peeling one giant intact peel with very little tearing apart from the orange. The tearing apart segments are what introduces the aroma and taste, which is why people use a cheese grader to get the zest - you really get the essence of the peel. Personally I think it'll taste and smell GREAT. Don't add anything else. Wait a week and bottle.

I used the peel of an entire orange at flame-out on a honey wheat I brewed and then added another oz of sweet orange peel to the secondary. At first the aroma and flavor were so intense they overpowered my hops but after a few weeks in the bottle it mellowed into something truly awesome and now I can't drink enough of them!

The beer came out fine. The orange addition was nice and not pronounced at all. It added a nice bitterness and flavor. Thanks to those that offered advise and support.

Good to hear it turned out. I'm glad you replied with your results because it seems that most of the time the OP doesnt reply and leaves me wondering how it turned out.

Back