Good breweries near DC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dweb911

Reaction score
I am headed to Washington DC on vacation and want to hit up some local breweries. I wont have a car so something close to the capital where we are staying would be great. You know reasonable cab or metro distance would be great.

Thanks

I don't know of any good breweries within metro/cab distance of DC but definitely hit up Churchkey.

Best beer bar along DC. Rock Bottom is also a good local brewpub. They have a couple locations

There aren't any breweries in DC yet (a couple are in the works). Churchkey is a must! There is a new brewery in Alexandria, VA, Port City Brewing. I have not been there yet but it look great. Mad Fox Brewpub in Falls Church, VA is excellent. If you are into belgian beers, Brasserie Beck is another great bar to check out.

Awesome I'll check those out. Any local beers that may be on tap at restraints would be nice to know too. Thanks all,,,

If you can find Stillwater Artisnal Ale try them. They are an excellent new local that makes Saison's and Belgian's. Brewer's Art in Baltimore also has limited distribution around here for bottles and some draft lines I think, certainly worth seeking out. Clipper City/Heavy Seas, Flying Dog and Starr Hill are good locals that are fairly widely available here.

Capital City is in DC and it has a decent selection. I assume you like food too, in which case Good Stuff Eatery has AMAZING burgers. I don't care what people say about 5 Guys, it's a bunch of garbage, Good Stuff is the $hit, its right in the capital hill area, it's a must, i feel confident in saying you've wasted your entire life if you don't go there. It wouldn't hurt to take the metro and hit up Ben's chili bowl and get a half smoke with chili and cheese. Also sliders at J.Pauls in Georgetown

If you're into breweries/brewpubs, best thing for you to do would be to take the marc train 30 miles north to baltimore. Baltimore is a much better beer town, not to mention, it's way more fun. Go to fells point, canton, federal hill. A lot of bars have their own brew (green turtle, oliver's). Max's on Broadway has the best selection of beer in the city. Baltimore's more of a blue collar town whereas DC is much more white collar

Oh, don't go to Southeast DC btw, you might die. hell, just stay way from the whole eastern side.

Mrmalty=hero status!

i assume you're speaking to me....it's "McMalty", but thanks. if you go to those places, you're sure not to regret it. There's a lot more stuff out there, but you were just asking about beer, so i just threw in my 2 cents about some other stuff. I've lived in md my whole life, i know the deal. oh, and if u go to the adam's morgan neighborhood (in DC), when the bars let out at 2am, do yourself a favor, you're going to walk out and be surprised (you'll know what i mean if u do it), so just don't look anyone in the eye or say anything, just keep walking, please.

You could always take a short(I think it took me 5hours) side trip to rehobeth beach to dogfishhead. If you are driving check if theree are any on the way there.

You could always take a short(I think it took me 5hours) side trip to rehobeth beach to dogfishhead. If you are driving check if theree are any on the way there.

don't do that. it's way too far, unless u plan on staying in DE. otherwise, u can just buy some DFH

Mcmalty is on the right track. Capital city was pretty good- I liked their food. I was there when it was like 91F out and their kolsch hit the spot. The rest of their brews were solid but nothing ton write home about. I did visit a place that said they were a microbrewery. Few blocks north of the convention center. It was only so-so and the food was basic pub food and not that great. I'd say go to brickskellar, but I heard it was closinng.

Mcmalty also right about Baltimore. I actually took the train to and from baltimore when I went to D.c.- my uncle lives there and i visited him on way back Hit up max's that was a blast and bertas mussels has awesome cask beer on tap. Baltimore is fun and u can meet new people- people in d.c (even @ brewpubs) seem a little self righteous.

Just looked it up, old dominion brewhouse was the other place I checked out.

Mcmalty is on the right track. Capital city was pretty good- I liked their food. I was there when it was like 91F out and their kolsch hit the spot. The rest of their brews were solid but nothing ton write home about. I did visit a place that said they were a microbrewery. Few blocks north of the convention center. It was only so-so and the food was basic pub food and not that great. I'd say go to brickskellar, but I heard it was closinng.

Mcmalty also right about Baltimore. I actually took the train to and from baltimore when I went to D.c.- my uncle lives there and i visited him on way back Hit up max's that was a blast and bertas mussels has awesome cask beer on tap. Baltimore is fun and u can meet new people- people in d.c (even @ brewpubs) seem a little self righteous.

Bertha's, the best mussels. If you want an old historic place with some character, try the Wharf Rat in Fells Point, Baltimore. They make their own beer, the brand name is Oliver. The bar is like 315 yrs old and used to be a bar, a brothel, a court house, and a prison all at the same time........i'm sure there was some natural progression.....pretty convenient really.

Oh and beesy is right about me being right, thanks for the back up beesy.

Back