Maple Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris19delta

Reaction score
Thinking about adding some maple sugar to a BB English brown kit, what would be a good amount of maple syrup that wont overpower the rest of the flavors but at the same time be one of the dominant flavors in the beer? Is there anything else i'd have to adjust due to the extra sugar?

I would say 4 to 6 oz would be a decent amount. If you add during the boil, you might lose alot of the flavor after fermentation. If you really like the maple flavor, try priming the bottles with the syrup instead of using sugar.

Dude you could throw a gallon of that stuff into your beer and it won't taste like maple... more like a woody-ish kind of taste. And it won't over-power your beer. I'd recommend instead getting fenugreek** and making a vodka-infusion out of it. Then take a small measured sample of your beer and add drop by drop of the infusion until you find an amount you like. Then do the math to scale up to 5 gallons (or whatever volume you're doing)

**Fenugreek is the stuff they use to make artificial maple syrup. Tastes just like it and the flavor won't get fermented out.

Latest posts

Back