Belgian fermenting like crazy!!! Blowoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mingus

Reaction score
Yet another newbie (me) ferment/blowoff post for ya...

My first brew was an Irish Red with very little krausen or bubbles - now I have a Belgian 5 gal batch that I fear may need to have a blowoff used with it.

It is a 5gal batch in a 6.5 glass carboy and the krausen has gone to the roof (very top of the neck) and the airlock water is slightly muddied. The airlock is constantly bubblin still. Should I set up a blowoff until krausen mellows? Is it common for Belgians to take off like this? Is it also common for Irish Reds to be so mellow?

Cheers,
N8

Belgians can get a little crazy sometimes, that's natural. Take the airlock off, clean it, sanitize it, and install a blowoff ASAP, unless you're prepared to clean your ceiling.

Edited: No, I'm not joking. Several of us have had to take a mop to our ceilings before. True story. :drunk:

So I just pulled the airlock, stuck hose into grommet, filled a gallon jug of water at about 1/4, added a cap of TDC... sound good?

This thing is still bubblin like a whore... glad I did this!

Let me know...thanks again - N8

Get some fermcap, it changes the surface tension of your liquid and prevents foam from building up. I don't brew without it!

I will check out fercap for future use...thanks.

Foam is slowly going into blowoff tube but the bubblin has slowed slightly.

All seems well now... thanks

Back