Is there a way to calculate OG after the fact

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was brewing a Harpoon IPA clone over the weekend and when I took my OG reading reading it was showing up at 1.050 instead of the 1.063 that my kit was predicting. At the time I figured I had somehow messed up my brewing since I am still new to this (this was my 4th batch) so I went ahead and pitched my and hoped for the best. Since then I realized that while I stirred my boil after adding about a gallon and a half of water I did not stir it well again after topping it off to the full five gallons which I assume caused a faulty reading.

So my question is is there a way to go back and verify what the OG would have been based on boil time, ingredients and how long the various ingredients were boiled?

If this is a stupid question I apologize but I'm still not sure what other than how much grains and extract are used affects the OG.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers :mug:

Ed

At this point all you can really do is go by the predicted OG from the recipe (1.063). If this was an extract batch and you used the right amount of water then you can be pretty sure it came out close. Boil time would not affect the gravity if you later topped it off to the specified recipe size.

If you post the exact ingredients used though, we might be able to check the predicted figure for you.

The ingredients were:

Light Malt Extract 8.8 lbs
Muntons Crystal 60 8 oz.
Muntons Roasted Barley 1 oz.

Target - Bittering 13 aau
Fuggle 1 oz
Cascade 1 oz

Then I am also adding 1 oz of cascade to my secondary for dry hopping.

You're welcome! There are some pretty simple math formulas out there to calculate this- but I'm way too slow for even "pretty simple math", so I use some brewing software (Beersmith) to help me! Glad we could help. Good luck with the recipe. Let us know how it turns out for you, ok?

Back