Greenlee 730BB punch draw bolt size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who has a 730BB can you measure the draw bolt diameter (including threads!) and let me know? I was thinking of just drilling the hole instead of using a step bit since I have a low speed high torque drill. Then I wouldn't have to buy a $40 step bit but a $10 3/8 or whatever metal bit instead. Or is that not a good idea and I should just stick with a step bit?

Unfortunately for Thanksgiving I'm not near my punches so I can't measure myself. Thanks!

3/8" hole is what was needed for both my greenlees. If you're doing several holes I'd invest in a cobalt bit and make sure your drill is up to the task. Don't forget to center punch.

Is there any way to reduce the possibility of catching when it breaks through other than to use a less powerfull drill? I did go with a cobalt bit, which is somewhat more brittle so I'd rather not snap my new bit since I have 10 or so holes to make.

Maybe practice on some sheet metal first if you can. With two hands on the drill and your pot/keg steady you should be fine. Go slowly as you're about to punch through and you should be fine. You'll have a rough time snapping a 3/8" bit, btw...

I usually let the bit grab and feed itself down to where the chuck is at the surface of the metal. Then blip the trigger hard once or twice and the bit should shear out the hole all the way. I only do that on holes that I am going to punch, since the area that might get marred up by the chuck is coming out in a slug anyways...

Back