Kegging / Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricksox

Reaction score
hey guys, I recently brewed an IPA and carbonated it with priming sugar directly inside my corny for about 2 weeks at around 74 degrees or so. I used the 3/4 cup priming sugar to 1 cup water simple syrup method to prime the beer.

I tapped the keg yesterday and got a lot of great foamy head and verified that the keg was holding pressure before I connected my CO2 tank to it.

However, despite the great foam, the carbonation didn't seem to really permeate through the beer so the body itself still seemed a little flat. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or suggestions as to what I maybe did wrong? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Rick

At 2 weeks, it's possible the CO2 had yet to saturate the beer fully.

Thanks for your response. OK so, jut be a little more patient I guess? I just read another thread where anther user suggested that colder temps help the liquid (beer) hol carbonation better. Do you know if there is any truth to that?

I currently have the keg in my beer fridge so I could always leave it under low force carb pressure connected to my CO2 tank.

ricksox said:
Thanks for your response. OK so, jut be a little more patient I guess? I just read another thread where anther user suggested that colder temps help the liquid (beer) hol carbonation better. Do you know if there is any truth to that?

I currently have the keg in my beer fridge so I could always leave it under low force carb pressure connected to my CO2 tank.

If force carbing, yes- lower temps are best. Natural carbing requires warmer temps, as it is a fermentation process. Why not just force carb? It's what most of us who keg do. Just set your regulator to about 12 psi for a week, then drink!

If force carbing, yes- lower temps are best. Natural carbing requires warmer temps, as it is a fermentation process. Why not just force carb? It's what most of us who keg do. Just set your regulator to about 12 psi for a week, then drink!

Thanks again! I've force carbed and it's worked out pretty well but for some reason I just think natural carbonation provides a slightly softer foam? Am I crazy to think that or is it in my head?

Next time I'll let the keg sit at room temp for at least a month before I tap. I'm in no rush so I have no problem experimenting a bit. Thanks again for your response. This is why this forum is the best! :)

ricksox said:
Thanks again! I've force carbed and it's worked out pretty well but for some reason I just think natural carbonation provides a slightly softer foam? Am I crazy to think that or is it in my head?

Next time I'll let the keg sit at room temp for at least a month before I tap. I'm in no rush so I have no problem experimenting a bit. Thanks again for your response. This is why this forum is the best! :)

Amen! Your patience is something I envy ;)

Back