aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmm beer

Reaction score
1 AHS American premium lager
2 AHS American wheat ale
3 Guinness extra stout
4 AHS black ale
I am going to brew the Guinness first, then the wheat ale. How long am I supposed to let these age before they will be good to drink, and how long is to long? And can they be aged in the cornie?

Yes I actully age in the keg for 3 weeks befor atempting carbonation. It lets you perg all oxygen out and seal off the environment from bad things. I often let my stouts age for 1 month in the primary, and 7-10 days in the secondary. Doesn't hurt anything , but paitience is needed. Wheat beers I like cloudy so I don't secondary them and usually only let them have 2 weeks in the primary b 4 I bottle. After I bottle, say 2 weeks conditioning and then I crack 1 for a try, if all is good I cold condition all my beer at 38 deg untill I am thirsty. I think you know what the next step is. Good luck happy brewing

That depends on a number of factors. The primary cause of "skunk" is sunlight interacting with the delicate hop oils. So the more you can shield your brews from sunlight, the longer they'll last. Also, the higher the gravity/ABV, the longer they'll last.

With that American Lager, well, I don't know the OG on your recipe, but lagers, in my experience, are very quick to skunk out. So keep it hidden from sunlight, and don't count on it lasting as long as, say, the Guinness clone you're planning.

I age all of my brews in kegs hooked up to CO2 @10psi at room temperature. Takes less space and frees up carboys for other brews. This has worked great for me so far.

but is there a to long to keep our home brew, I here of people aging beer for a long time, but then I here it should be consumed quickly? Are there beers for aging and beers for not aging?

Back