What to brew with these ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meister

Reaction score
I have been blessed with a new lhbs opening about half a mile from my house:rockin:
so i have been buying grains just because i feel like it, did my first partial mash last week, just pulling stuff off the shelf.
This time im loaded down with these ingredients, was thinking a red ale, but would like other opinions:
4lb's marris otter crushed.
1lb of special b crushed
1lb of mild malt crushed
1lb 0f crystal 10, 6row? yea thats what it says.
3.3lb's munton extra light lme.
hops: 1oz willamette pellet
hops: 1oz EKG pellet
No yeast, but i'll go get that in a little while, might throw in some roasted barley as well.
Irish ale? english? what would u do with this stuff?

Here's what I do if I had those ingredients to choose from, but I'm a fan of British bitters. It should come out to a lightly hopped Premium/Best Bitter.

Late addition on the extract

PM

4lbs MO
8 oz C 10L
4 oz Special B
Willamette @60
EKG @ 10

Ferment with Notty.

I agree with mmb, and English style bitter would be great. You could also make an Irish Red with the MO, extract, caramel, and an oz for roasted barley. You can also do a Scottish with the MO, extract, caramel, and special B (go easy on the B).

I'd definitely do a partial mash Special/Best/Premium Bitter.

4 lbs MO
3.3 lbs DME
0.5 lbs Crystal 10 <- maybe 0.75 lbs
no "special b" at all
Williamette at 60
EKG .5 at 30 and .5 at 10 mins

The recipator approximates:
OG: 1.051
IBU: 31
Color: 7

Thanks alot, the bitter is a good idea, but how about using a windsor notty mix? id like this to really taste a little british, my last apa i brewed i used wl european ale, liquid, with a mix of dry notty, it came out great! and nice color. thnx again.

Using both would probably amount to too much yeast, and you'd lose all the esters you want. I'd go with the grist mmb posted, fermented with Windsor or S-04. Yummy British ale esters, slightly underattenuated, plenty of sweet fruit from the Special B.

I'd drink a hell of a lot of that, if I had any.

Bob

I always like a little C120 in my bitters and the Special B is a good sub. The burnt sugar/raisin thing is very nice with some earthy hops.

I like the S-04 or Windsor better than Notty now that I think about it.

matt

Ok I ended up getting a smack pack wyeast irish ale yeast, and a 1/2 pound of german smoked malt, I never brewed anthing (smoky) before, hope i didnt over do it with this much, however i love the aroma that smoked malt has.
thanx for Everyone that helped me out, wish i could toss you guys an apa homebrew im drinkin now.
I have all the grain mashing right now, smells good......peace

Back